Lover is Perfect and No One Can Convince Me Otherwise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

By now I’m sure you’ve all at least heard about Taylor Swift’s latest album, Lover. If you haven’t listened to it yet, consider this your formal invitation to drop everything and listen to it on repeat for the rest of you life add it to your playlist ASAP. As a diehard Swiftie, I can confirm that this album is amazing (TBH, Taylor could sing the alphabet and I’d still say it’s amazing).

A far cry from her Reputation era vibes, Lover is soft and dreamy but in a very grown-up way. Taylor’s lyrics bring me back to Speak Now era love songs, but not in the heartbreaking way we used to know – it’s like the perfect marriage of Speak Now and 1989. Lover was written by a confident woman who has loved and lost and still made it out okay – scratch that, Taylor’s way better than okay – and I that’s the kind of woman I aspire to be. In case you need any more convincing, I was inspired by Ellie Schnitt and decided to break down the album by song and rate them. I wish I could rank them all at number one TBH because it kind of felt like picking a favorite child. 

18. “False God”

While not my favorite, I still can appreciate the lyrics and slow melody of this song. 

Best Lyric: “Staring out the window like I’m not your favorite town. I’m New York City, I’d still do it for you, babe”

17. “You Need to Calm Down”

I am so here for this song and the music video. Put those haters in their place, Taylor!?

Best Lyric: “You just need to take several seats and then try to restore the peace and control your urges to scream about all the people you hate. ‘Cause shade never made anybody less gay”

16. “ME!” ft. Brendon Urie of Panic! At The Disco

Why is this the first time Taylor Swift and Brendon Urie have done a collab? I. Am. Obsessed.

Best Lyric: “I know I tend to make it about me, I know you never get just what you see but I will never bore you, baby”

15. “It’s Nice To Have A Friend”

I’ll admit I didn’t love this song at first, but after listening a few more times I really like it. It’s a really simple story about best friends who become ~more than friends~.

Best Lyric: “20 questions, we tell the truth. You’ve been stressed out lately, yeah, me too. Something gave you the nerve to touch my hand”

14. “Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince”

This song is begging for a cinematic, moody music video. It’s like the sister song to “You Belong With Me” with its high school references and cheerleader imagery.

Best Lyric: “Waving homecoming queens, marching band playing I’m lost in the lights. American glory faded before me”

13. “Daylight”

The closing track for Lover is Taylor at her most mature yet. I’m glad she’s finally found the kind of love she wanted. Plus she makes a reference to Red, so how could you not love it?

Best Lyric: “I once believed love would be burning red but it’s golden”

12. “Afterglow”

I love how Taylor isn’t afraid to admit when she’s the one in the wrong. This song acts as an open apology for being the one to ruin a relationship. 

Best Lyric: “Tell me that we’ll be just fine even when I lose my mind”

11. “Cornelia Street”

BRB, going out to walk Cornelia Street and dramatically listen to this song.

Best Lyric: “That’s the kinda heartbreak time could never mend. I’d never walk Cornelia Street again”

10. “Soon You’ll Get Better” ft. the Dixie Chicks

As someone who has personally dealt with a parent having cancer, this song hits me hard. It’s vulnerable and open in a way that is comforting to those who have been in similar situations.

Best Lyric: “And I hate to make this all about me, but who am I supposed to talk to? What am I supposed to do if there’s no you?”

9. “Paper Rings”

This song is pure pop energy. This is the one you’re going to be blasting for all future dance parties.

Best Lyric: “I hate accidents, except when we went from friends to this”

8. “London Boy”

The Bruce Springsteen reference alone is enough to make me love this song. It’s a fun, catchy song that makes me want to date a London boy ASAP.

Best Lyric: “And you know I love Springsteen, faded blue jeans, Tennessee whiskey”

7. “The Archer”

I know people have mixed feelings on this song, but I love it. It’s so raw and honest, in classic Taylor Swift ballad fashion.

Best Lyric: “I’ve been the archer. I’ve been the prey. Who could ever leave me, darling? But who could stay?”

6. “I Think He Knows”

This song is perfect for that exciting period in the beginning of a new relationship. Another perfect dance party song.

Best Lyric: “I think he knows he’d better lock it down or I won’t stick around ’cause good ones never wait”

5. “The Man”

This song is the feminist anthem we all need. Political Taylor is my favorite Taylor.

Best Lyric: “I’m so sick of running as fast as I can. Wondering if I’d get there quicker if I was a man”

4. “Death By A Thousand Cuts”

This song rips me apart emotionally, but I’m fine with it because of its light, dreamy melody. Don’t mind me, just singing through the tears.

Best Lyric: “My heart, my hips, my body, my love, trying to find a part of me that you didn’t touch”

3. “I Forgot That You Existed”

I always love a good petty Taylor Swift song and this one is no exception. It’s the perfect, carefree song to start the album and it got me hooked immediately. 

Best Lyric: “I forgot that you existed. And I thought that it would kill me, but it didn’t”

2. “Lover”

I want this song to be my wedding song. It’s a classic Taylor Swift sappy love song – but in the best possible way.

Best Lyric: “And you’ll save all your dirtiest jokes for me. And at every table, I’ll save you a seat, lover”

1. “Cruel Summer”

I am completely obsessed with this song. I’ve been playing it on repeat ever since it came out and TBH I don’t know if I’ll ever stop. I only wish she had released it as a single so it could’ve been my summer jam. 

Best Lyric: “And I screamed for whatever it’s worth ‘I love you,‘ ain’t that the worst thing you ever heard?”

This might be my new favorite Taylor Swift album. If you aren’t currently listening to Lover as you read this, you should go do that right now. Enjoy. 

Follow Carli on Instagram.

Carli is a 2022 grad of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and served as the style section editor for Her Campus. After being a national style writer for Her Campus, she launched Her Campus FIT. A born and raised Jersey Girl, she is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. In her spare time she loves running, jamming to Taylor Swift, and tracking down the best burgers. Find her on Instagram @carliannescloset.