taylor swift text message lyric 1
taylor swift text message lyric 1
Original photo by Anna Dao

Analyzing the “All Too Well” Iconic Lyrics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

On November 12th, Taylor Swift released her re-recorded album, Red (Taylor’s Version). Swift has the power of revealing a deeply emotional story through her poetic songwriting. The highly anticipated 10-minute version of her song “All Too Well” expresses the ups and downs of the heartbreak she experienced. The original lyrics already stir up a whirlwind of emotions, but Taylor’s Version includes new lines no one has heard before.

Here are some of my favorite “All Too Well (10 Minute Version)” lyrics:

“And you were tossing me the car keys, ‘**** the patriarchy’

Key chain on the ground”

These lyrics actually show the irony of the whole situation. The man in Taylor’s story has a labeled keychain that is supposed to portray his so-called feminism despite the fact that he treats his girlfriend disrespectfully. 

“We’re dancing ‘round the kitchen in the refrigerator light”

Even in the simplest moments, Taylor felt the deep love she had for this man. These memories were the ones that meant the absolute most.

“Time won’t fly it’s like I’m paralyzed by it

I’d like to be my old self again, but I’m still trying to find it.”

It is easy to lose yourself when in a relationship. Taylor was not able to remember the person she was before this heartbreak and time felt like it was just standing still. Anyone who has endured a heartbreak can relate to this feeling of being stuck. However, there comes a day where you wake up and things slowly start to get better. 

“Just between us did the love affair maim you, too?”

Nearing the end of the song, all Taylor wanted to know was if the love they shared had any impact on him the way it did on her. 

Taylor Swift never fails to express her raw emotions through her lyrics. Red (Taylor’s Version) is the perfect album for anyone experiencing Sad Girl Autumn right now.

Jacqueline is the Editor-in-Chief and Vice President of Her Campus at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC. She is graduating with a BS in Advertising and Marketing Communications and a minor in English. When she's not writing or reading, you can find her watching early 2000s rom-coms and listening to Taylor Swift.