This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Scrolling through my For You page on TikTok, I stumbled across a clip from Kenny Ortega’s new TV show, Julie and the Phantoms. The moment I finished watching the 60-second clip, I was already hooked. I had no idea what the show was actually about, but the song and the plot from those few seconds had me thinking about the show for hours. When I was finally able to take the time to snuggle into my bed and pull up Netflix onto my computer, I was able to get a vague description of the show. Fueled by my curiosity, I pressed play on the first episode and finished the whole season that same night. Even with the nagging thoughts lingering in my head reminding me of my 8 a.m. class the next morning, I couldn’t stop. 

Based on the Brazilian sitcom, Julie e os Fantasmas, the show follows Julie, a sixteen-year-old Puerto Rican girl, while living in present-day Los Angeles, California. Although the show incorporates mythological elements, it also shines a light on very relevant themes in our real lives.

After the loss of her mother and on the brink of losing her spot in the music program at her school, Julie struggles to bring herself to play music again, because it was a very special thing she shared with her mother. However, with the help of three 17-year-old ghosts, she is able to get her groove back. 

Not only do I love the show for its upbeat spirit, but for its inclusivity as well. Representation of the LGBTQ+ communities are present as well as different heritages and ethnicities.

This year has taken a toll on all of us. My motivation and hope for the future have felt grim. However, when I was able to immerse myself in the show, I felt as though I had been doused in serotonin. I felt bubblier and aspirational again, it’s definitely one of those feel-good shows. However, it’s not like that the whole time. The show is definitely not a cliché, it is an incredible roller coaster ride of emotions, and I highly recommend taking the time to watch it, no matter who you are and what you usually enjoy watching!

I am a Fashion Business Management Major looking to minor in English and Film and Media Studies. I am a member of the National Honor Society, as well as the National Society of Leadership and Success. I excelled as a member of the soccer team at FIT, and I am currently a member of two clubs that are coordinated by my school, HER Campus and Runway27. I am included in FIT Fall 2019's Dean's List. I have extensive experience in being the social media coordinator for an event space located in Manhattan, NY. In my spare time I enjoy reading, working out, and cooking.