Jenna Palek
Jenna Palek
Photo by Jenna Palek
Career

Jenna Palek on Her Style, Content Creation, and How to Have Fun on Weekdays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Did you know that Jenna Palek, content creator and the host of Fun on Weekdays podcast, started off working in fashion? A 2020 grad from Kent State University, Jenna received a Bachelor of Arts degree in fashion merchandising, and she has interned at brands like Sherri Hill and LoveShackFancy. While she found her niche in content creation and has even worked at TikTok HQ, Jenna has even bigger dreams. Her podcast is all about navigating life in your 20’s in a big city, while taking risks, being bold, and having fun!

Below, I chat with Jenna about her journey as a content creator, personal style, and aspirations for the future.

Her Campus (HC): How did your experience in fashion shape your role now as a content creator and podcast host?

Jenna Palek (JP): It’s funny because people typically associate going to fashion school with dressing well and having good style. If you’ve seen my TikToks, you will see that my style does not always translate with interior design/ some of my (questionable outfits). What I truly learned about the fashion industry is far beyond style, I’ve always been more intrigued by the business and production. My knowledge of product development, planning & buying, merchandising, designing, and sales, has translated very well into my first merch launch. I sourced my products, communicated production, designed the products, packaged and shipped all the orders myself. Without my experience in fashion I think I would have been able to learn to do this on my own, but it was definitely a huge advantage! When it comes to content, I work with a lot of fashion and beauty brands. Understanding what my following is interested in helps me grow organically but also through monetization. Ex: if I’m promoting styles/products my audience isn’t very interested in, the brand probably won’t get great return and likely won’t want to work together again. 

HC: What’s your favorite way to have fun on weekdays?

JP: My favorite morning weekday activity is going for a hot girl walk around Town Lake with my friend Hallie. My favorite mid-day weekday activity is trying new smoothie/acai places in Austin. If I have time, I love cycling or pilates classes. After work, my favorite weekday activity is going to karaoke, a comedy show, watching The Bachelor, or having a wine night. 

HC: How has living in Austin influenced your style?

JP: Cowboy boots are now my everyday shoe. Because it’s much hotter here than my hometown in Painesville, Ohio, I love wearing a pair of vintage Levi’s shorts, I hardly ever wear a bra, and my style is much more carefree. I like to be comfortable, and everyone in Austin is very chill. No one here is judging your outfits! I do play into the western/cowgirl style a bit more than I previously did before living here. 

HC:Did you ever imagine yourself working in social media before the TikTok job?

JP: Haha, no I did not. I always thought I would work in wholesale, event planning, maybe influencer marketing. But I never pictured myself to be the actual influencer. It’s very different from what I had pictured for my life, but the greatest thing about life is that it leads to unexpected opportunities. :)

HC: What  are the most challenging and most rewarding parts of working for yourself?

JP: Most challenging is definitely getting into a set routine. You don’t get to just turn off your computer and sign off at 5 oclock. You don’t have a boss telling you what you need to get done/holding you accountable. You also don’t have a steady income, so the thought of your career ending basically any day is difficult. It can also be hard to be the only one of your friends in this position, I try to find people in creative fields that understand a bit more the challenges of working for yourself. The most rewarding part is knowing that no one else is responsible for my success. I can go as far as I want, as hard as I work for it. I would also say just knowing that what I am doing is benefitting other people is incredibly rewarding. 

HC: Do you have plans of working in the fashion industry again in the future?

JP: My first merch drop sold out in 3 hours which was HUGE. I have always dreamed of having my own fashion line, I think knowing that I can sell a product with my logo on it gave me confidence to know that I could start my own line, not just merch. Ideally I’d like to have a brand that is for everyone, not just people that follow me or listen to my podcast. 

HC: Has your success on TikTok changed your idea of your dream job and where you see your career unfolding?

JP: Absolutely. Prior to working at TikTok, I thought it was my dream job. Then I got it and I realized the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. My dream job is to be creative without boundaries. Whether that is creating content, creating spaces for people to meet, creating a community, creating a fashion label. 

HC: What is your advice to college students looking to build their social media presence?

JP: Be yourself, and make videos for yourself. Your people will eventually find you. Don’t get sucked into the idea that you need a “niche” – I have no niche and I’m doing just fine! Show your personality, and why people should trust you and want to be your friend. It’s not about the number of followers, it’s the quality. I don’t follow any type of growth strategies or hashtags or video trends. I do whatever I want and people either like it or they don’t. 

Carli is a 2022 grad of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and served as the style section editor for Her Campus. After being a national style writer for Her Campus, she launched Her Campus FIT. A born and raised Jersey Girl, she is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. In her spare time she loves running, jamming to Taylor Swift, and tracking down the best burgers. Find her on Instagram @carliannescloset.