kon karampelas 7Hv7183ZNFM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kon karampelas 7Hv7183ZNFM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

We’ve all heard horror stories of Tinder dates going terribly wrong.  Tinder has made it easy for us to connect with people in our area, just by swiping right or left on their profile. But, since it’s very easy to hide behind the screen and pretend to be someone you’re not, it can be scary meeting up with someone you have only met online. Below are some tips to keep you safe while meeting up with someone you met online.

1. Meet in public

This one’s the most obvious. Save the homemade dinner at their place or hike in the woods for a later date. There are plenty of good date ideas that are public, like going out for drinks or food, to a museum, ice skating or roller skating, or a trip to the movies. Its also a good idea to meet at the location instead of having your date pick you up at your place. 

2. Tell a friend where you are going

Its also a good idea to tell a friend where you are going so someone knows where you are. You should also keep them updated with your location throughout the date or have your location shared with them on your phone, so you don’t have to keep texting them. 

3. Don’t share personal information

Once you first start talking, it’s a better idea just to keep the conversation on Tinder. Until you get to know each other better and become more serious, steer clear from sharing your phone number, Snapchat or any other information you don’t want to share right away.

4. Be aware of your surroundings

While on the date, be aware of red flags or any suspicious activity. As always, remember to keep an eye on your drink and your personal items like your wallet and your phone.  Trust your gut; if something feels off, don’t ignore it.

5. Know your limits

We all know a few drinks is great to help bring our confidence up, and maybe calm down some nerves. But on a first date, try to keep your alcohol intake in check.  Don’t let your date tempt you into ordering more drinks than you can handle. Which brings me to my next point…

6. Remember it’s okay to say no

If at any moment during your date, you feel like your date is pressuring you to do something you are unsure of, say no. This applies to any situation, such as getting another drink, going to a certain location, or having sex. If they can’t respect your boundaries, leave the date.

7. Have fun

A cheesy way to end this, but remember the purpose of going out on a date is to have a good time. Of course, it’s good to be prepared and know what red flags to look out for, but once you feel safe, enjoy it and have a great time!

Lindsey is studying Fashion Business Management at the Fashion Institute of Technology. Her hobbies include spying on cute dogs, finding new ice cream places, and shopping. Follow her Instagram @lindseylabarbera