Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Spend Your Valentine’s Day in NYC: Gift and Date Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

It’s that time of year where everyone in a relationship is trying to figure out gift ideas and how to spend Valentine’s Day with their significant other. This year, Valentine’s Day is on a Friday which is great for making plans as you won’t have to worry about school or work the next day. 

Valentine’s Day can be tricky when trying to figure out what to get your significant other. You don’t need to go crazy, just buy or make them a little something cute to show you care. Every store is packed with Valentine’s Day candy and cards that you can pick up. If you wanted to make it more personal, you can make a DIY box filled with candy and even add a collage of pictures of the two of you together. Another cute DIY idea would be to print out pictures and buy some lottery tickets to put in a box. Then on the outside write, “I Won the Lottery When I Met You.” There is also always the classic heart shaped box of chocolate and a stuffed bear; to add a more personal touch spray the bear with your cologne or perfume so your bae will think of you when they are snuggling with it. If you are looking to spend a little more, you can never go wrong with a necklace or bracelet that has a heart if you want to stay on theme. 

If you are 21 or older, a cute idea would be to put little shooter bottles in a box and attach a card that says, “Every minute that is spent without you is a minute that is wasted.” Also, you could buy your partner’s favorite bottle of wine and snuggle up by a fire while having a glass.

If you are going to go out to dinner, be sure to make a reservation, because it is likely that most places are going to be packed. If you do decide to go out, and are in NYC, make sure to stop by West 55th Street and 6th Avenue and take a picture in front of the iconic LOVE statue. This is also not too far from Bryant Park. After dinner, you can go ice skating and walk around the shops in their Winter Village. 

Another option would be to stay in and order food or cook and watch a movie. This is perfect if you don’t want to be out in a crowded restaurant. This may seem like your basic everyday routine, but there are ways to make it more romantic. Picnics are often cute, but since it’s cold outside why not just have it inside? Throw down some blankets and pillows, light some candles, and get flowers or spread rose petals around. It may seem cheesy, but Valentine’s Day is such a cute movie and there is no better time to watch it! 

Enjoy your day and don’t forget to tell your loved ones how much they mean to you. 

Katie is studying Fashion Business Management at the Fashion Institute of Technology. In her free time you can find her shopping, exploring NYC or at the beach. Follow her on Instagram @KatieFlanagann_.