This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

For several years I have been coloring my hair professionally. I’ve had highlights, balayage, and have dyed my hair solid colors. Each time I would go to the salon for a re-color, my hair was brassy and not the original color dyed previously. Moral of the story: drugstore shampoos and conditioners do not combine with color-treated hair (even if the bottle says it does)!

I have always washed my hair with Herbal Essence’s color treated line. I thought this would help protect my hair after getting it done, but I felt like I was at the salon way too often, as my hair would drastically change over short periods of time. I was also seeing hair dressers with high talent and who were well respected in my community, so I knew this had nothing to do with their work.

This is when I realized it was time for me to try something different than my typical cheap, drugstore products. I recently switched to professional care products and am in love with Redken! I purchased Redken Frizz Dismiss shampoo and conditioner – which is 100% safe for color treated hair!

A post shared by Redken (@redken) on

I have been using it for a little over a month so far and my hair is the exact same color from when I got it done! Before my switch, as little as a month after the salon would have turned my hair from brown to brassy blonde. Redken products seriously have saved my hair and money as I do not have to get my hair done so often! 

Yes, Redken products are on the expensive side, but, I purchased mine during Ulta’s Jumbo Sale. I was able to get both jumbo sized shampoo and conditioner for 50% off and use my rewards on top of that! So stay on the lookout for when this sale occurs again because this size will seriously last you a lifetime. 

Overall, I am beyond happy with my results from this switch and I feel more confident as my hair looks good, healthy, and consistent everyday!

Alexis Kalil is a senior at the Fashion Institute of Technology studying Fashion Business Management and English. In her free time, she enjoys thrifting, photography, watching Netflix, and traveling.