This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

The news of Matthew Perry’s sudden passing on Saturday, October 28th still has the whole world in disbelief and utter heartache. Matthew Perry’s most-known role as Chandler Bing in “Friends” highlighted his sarcasm, witty sense of humor, and warm heart, serving as a character people could both relate to and laugh with. This easily made him a fan favorite among the millions of viewers the show received. However, it was not only through Chandler Bing in which people felt that they could connect with Matthew Perry. Ever since opening up about his battles with addiction in 2000, he’s inspired others struggling to be brave and seek help.

Especially during the early 2000s, drug and alcohol abuse were not topics that were openly discussed among celebrities. When Perry reflects on his dark past, he knows that if he hadn’t come clean about his addiction, from the outside looking in, people would’ve considered him to have had the “perfect life”. But in his newly acclaimed memoir, “Friends, Lovers and the Big Terrible Thing”, he begins with the line “Hi, my name is Matthew, although you may know me by another name. My friends call me Matty. And I should be dead”. The reason he began with such a jaw-dropping introduction, is because it was important to him that he address the full severity of his situation. He wanted people to know that he was in the lowest state of mind a human being could possibly be and that even though recovery seems like a faraway illusion, it’s possible and worth it.

In a 2022 interview, he acknowledges “it was important to me to do something to help people”. When asked how he would want to be remembered, he replied that he would want people to think of him as someone who could say that knew how to fight substance abuse and how to help others struggling, to find their light again. It is with these words and this legacy that Matthew Perry should be honored. Though he was an incredible actor, starring in films other than “Friends”, including “17 Again”, “Fools Rush In”, and “The Ron Clark Story”, Matthew Perry was so much more than just filling people’s hearts with laughter. He wanted people to feel understood and loved for who they are and who they can be, replicating why his death shattered hearts all across the globe. People will never forget about Chandler Bing, but I say let’s never forget about Matthew Perry and the heroically selfless legacy he left behind.

Hi! I'm Ella and I'm an AMC major at FIT. Some of my favorite things to do include writing, film, makeup, traveling, and going to concerts.