How To Make The Most of Your Senior Year Of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

1. Make connections

Amelia Kramer-Coffee Shop Friend Date
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus

Whether you say hi to that person you’ve had five classes with or ask your professor how they got started in their career, making connections is so important! In your last semester of college, time is fleeting and it’s important to make the most of the environment you’re in now, rather than regretting you did something differently.

2. Say yes more often

people clinking mimosas
Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash
This is probably going to be one of the last times in your life where you can skip a class with minimal consequences after a night out or go on a weekend trip with your college friends. Everyone has a lot going on during this time but sometimes that assignment can wait a few more hours. Use this time to spend it with those in your life and make some memories because everything in your life is about to change.

3. Learn how to cherish downtime

Celina Timmerman-Oversized Tshirt And Cup
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
On the contrary, we may not realize it much now, but once you get a full-time job, 90% of your time is going to be at that job and the rest will be spent grocery shopping, cleaning your apartment or quickly catching up with friends on a Saturday night. So take the time now to relax and enjoy the time you have left as a college student because the real world is coming full force. Do a face mask, read a good book or take a leisurely walk to unwind from a long day of classes.

4. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself

Unsplash
The end of senior year means applying to every job you see posted online and constantly hearing fellow students talk about the job search and how stressful it is. While these feelings are 100% valid, sometimes it can take a toll on your mental health. While graduating may be exciting and relieving, the pressure and stress of finding and pursuing a full-time career can be so daunting, especially if you will have student debt. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself or compare yourself to others; you’re doing the bets you can and that is enough.

5. It’s okay to be sad that it’s ending

Kristen Bryant-Thinking In A Lala College Sweatshirt
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
With college graduation approaching, it’s common to hear, “I just can’t wait to get out!”. The workload is more rigorous and there is more pressure than there was in high school. But it’s okay to be sad and get nostalgic as you get ready to graduate college. There’s a sense of “done-ness” after you graduate college. Most people will never be in school ever again for the rest of their lives and after 16 years of our lives just being “school,” it can be sad, scary and nerve-racking. It’s okay to be sad to leave college so don’t let anyone make you feel bad about that.

I’m a senior at the Fashion Institute of Technology majoring in Advertising and Marketing Communications with double minors in Psychology and Film & Media Studies! I'm a coffee addict, makeup fanatic and a true Long Islander! If I’m not in class, I’m usually watching movies as I dream of working in the film industry!