SHOPVICSOUTLET Stickers
SHOPVICSOUTLET Stickers
Original photo by Victoria Solomos

How I Started a Sustainable Business at 19 + GIVEAWAY!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Yes, you read the title right – I started a sustainable business at 19 years old! After a few months of research and contemplation, I opened up my shop in February 2020. Since starting college, I have developed an interest in Digital Art. I decided to create my own works and develop them into stickers for laptops, papers, journals, folders, and even phone cases. Thus, I created SHOPVICSOUTLET! I have since branched out from stickers and I also sell digital illustrations, custom logos and stickers for businesses, and tote bags are soon to come! Also, stay tuned to the end of the article to hear details about our GIVEAWAY where I am sending one of you lovely individuals my new NYC MINDSET pack!

You can visit my shop here or follow me on Instagram.

However, I wanted my business to be ethically responsible to match my morals. Here’s how I started my shop and transformed my business to be eco-friendly and sustainable:

First, I had to figure out where I wanted to buy my materials from. Traditional sticker paper typically has PVC in it for durability and for that shiny look. I purchased 100% recycled and eco-friendly sticker paper to eliminate that unnecessary plastic waste in the landfills. I also purchased an easily degradable laminate to put over the stickers to add that shine and make them weather-proof! 

So, once I got that problem out of the way, I needed to figure out my packaging. This was fairly easy – because I knew I was going to use envelopes and tissue paper, considering you can buy recycled and eco-friendly paper. And I did exactly that, only better. I purchased 100% recycled envelopes, 100% recycled tissue paper, and most importantly, “plastic” bags made from plants to put the stickers in for travel purposes. How insane is that! I was freaking out when I discovered those. 

After that, I needed to create a website. I used the provider Wix. They were having a promotion where you can purchase a subscription for half off with your school email. Score! The Wix platform is completely customizable and fairly easy to use. I highly recommend it! 

Lastly, I had to grow my audience and capture high-quality content. I use Instagram as my main platform because the sticker community is huge there. I have branched out to Tik Tok now and I think it is going pretty well! You can follow me here (only if you’d like).

The number one thing is consistency. In order to beat those algorithms and push through the competition is to post. every. day. Yes, every day. Ask questions. Ask your followers for suggestions. Offer prizes and sales. Your marketing strategy is unique to you and will work for you if you stick to it!

Now onto the giveaway!!!! I have teamed up with the lovely team of girls at Her Campus FIT and I am doing a giveaway on their Instagram!

I am giving away my new NYC MINDSET pack that features 6 designs created by me that remind me of that everyday NYC hustle that we feel in order to succeed in our careers. Which one is your favorite? Let us know! They are also available to purchase on my website if you do not want to wait for the giveaway to end!

SHOPVICSOUTLET Stickers
Original photo by Victoria Solomos
Check out their Instagram for the rules and to enter here

Hello! My name is Victoria. I am 20 years old and I attend the Fashion Institute of Technology for Advertising and Marketing Communications. I have a passion for writing, so I figured why not start writing for Her Campus? I also started my own sustainable sticker business at the age of 19!
Carli is a 2022 grad of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and served as the style section editor for Her Campus. After being a national style writer for Her Campus, she launched Her Campus FIT. A born and raised Jersey Girl, she is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. In her spare time she loves running, jamming to Taylor Swift, and tracking down the best burgers. Find her on Instagram @carliannescloset.