nature flowers spring pink
nature flowers spring pink
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus

Happy New (Astrological) Year!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

The new year begins in January, but it never really feels like a period of great change. The days are still dark and cold and you can still feel the weight of the previous year. However, as the spring season approaches, we start to feel a sense of rebirth in the air, especially as days get longer and brighter. The beginning of spring feels more like a significant change than January 1st and there is actually a reason behind this.

Along with spring comes Aries season (March 21st-April 19th). Aries season is the beginning of the astrological new year. This is why this period of time often feels like a reset or recharge in our lives, bringing us motivation for spring cleanings and feeling more on top of our routines. On March 20th, the sun officially entered into Aries, also marking the day of the Spring Equinox. On this day, winter finally came to an end and we welcomed spring. During the Spring Equinox, the sun is directly above the hemisphere, meaning both halves of the earth equally receive the sun’s rays. This is a great time to pick up new habits, begin projects, and let your creativity flow.

Being the very first sign of the zodiac season, Aries represents new beginnings and change. Aries season is the time to take risks and initiative in your life. As we begin to embrace the outdoors, we are also embracing our passions, ideas, and goals. Breaking barriers is the correct way to welcome this astrological season.

Jacqueline is the Editor-in-Chief and Vice President of Her Campus at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC. She is graduating with a BS in Advertising and Marketing Communications and a minor in English. When she's not writing or reading, you can find her watching early 2000s rom-coms and listening to Taylor Swift.