Giselle Haberts\' Thesis collection photos & Chabad @ FIT process photos
Photo by Giselle Habert
Style > Fashion

From Bows to Gunmetal: The Creative Vision of Giselle Habert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Giselle Habert, 21 is the creator of Gisessories, a small independent jewelry and accessories brand which started in the halls of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City. You may know her by her honorary title “Kate Spade’s daughter,” a nickname she acquired during a sketching class her freshman year at FIT. To be clear, she has no biological relation to the designer. However, people have drawn parallels to their similar aesthetic sensibilities. “Anytime I design anything with a bow, people reference me as Kate Spade’s Daughter,” she says with a laugh.

Born and raised in Flatbush, Brooklyn, much of her design inspiration is influenced and inspired by her Jewish heritage and piecing together her favorite trends on social media. Her designs are a blend of hyper feminine details like bows and ruffles and a rougher hardware like studs and chain metal. The contrast between the aesthetic of girlish frivolity and chain metal gives her designs a bit of an unexpected edge. 

Her Footwear and Accessories BFA Thesis Collection, divided into two mini capsule collections, The Black N’ Blue Collection and the Papillon Collection — and it’s probably her most conceptually driven work to date. And yet, it still has commercial appeal. 

Giselle Haberts Accessories Thesis Collection & Process Photos
Photo by Giselle Habert

“Sew until you’re blue in the face.” Is a quote she uses to introduce the Black N’ Blue collection, inspired by the tedious hard work it takes to be a designer, “The ruffles derived from the sleepy designer’s half-closed eyelashes. Her large bags under her eyes are black and blue from lack of rest.” The collection is made up of four pieces: the Ruffle Hat, a navy blocked fur-felt hat with ruched velvet grosgrain. At this point, she’s practically a self-made milliner. The Black N’ Blue Boots, lined with black and navy cowhide patched leather swirl design, edge laced with gunmetal chain using black leather cording; and the Ruffle Double Buckle Belt, using black goat kid skin and navy cowhide, detailed with gunmetal hardware and a removable interchangeable leather ruffle skirt. 

The Papillon Collection is what Habert describes as the true DNA of the Gisessories Brand. “It screams Gisessories!” she exclaims as she pulls up photos of the collection. It’s a range of accessories: the Tied-Up Crossbody Bag, an oversized padded bow cross body bag lined with black camouflage nylon; the Papillon Sandaled Mules, made of black saffiano leather, lined with neutral nude lambskin.

Photo by Giselle Habert

As part of the FIT Footwear & Accessories Design 2022 Graduating Thesis Awards Presentation, she was awarded a recognition in the Handbag Category by industry judges and critics for her Mixed Metal Hobo bag, made from black cowhide body and silver chain mail. It is currently on display in the FIT Feldman Lobby.

The term Papillon is derived from a breed of dog whose ears suggest that of a butterfly or a bow. And the collection is full of bows which can be translated into an assortment of lavish accessories. The girl wearing these designs is fearless, bold, and not afraid to stand out from the crowd. 

Photo by Giselle Habert

Habert’s work with leather and collaborative spirit has landed her some collaborations with the Tannery NYC, a New York City leather craft supplier, who recently sent her some leather and gave her full creative agency to make whatever she wanted. “I love putting my work out there and collaborating and giving people the credit! It really shows my appreciation.” 

She’s an active member of Chabad at FIT, the “home-away-from home” for Jewish students on campus. Her most recent collaboration with Chabad has been creating a graphic print on a sweatshirt for members of the FIT community in collaboration with FIT alum, Brandon Bedevian. The design consists of the combxination of Hebrew characters that make up the semblance of a smiley face and says, “Chai on Lyfe” referring to “feeling high on the spirituality of life.” She felt it was important to make the design equally approachable for students from any branch of Judaism. “We wanted to make something for everyone.”

Photo by Giselle Habert

Haberts’ using her influence through social media to form cultural connections outside of her community as well. “When I posted it on Instagram, it wasn’t so much about religion, it was more about the merch. Even people that were not Jewish showed a lot of support.” 

She’s also an active participant in Runway 27, the FIT Student Run Fashion Show, where she lends her accessories to take part in the show. 

Upon graduating, she hopes to gain industry experience by working under larger fashion houses. However, her goal is to pursue Gisessories full-time. She wants to stay true to her current aesthetic but expand the brand in a streetwear and sportswear direction as well as incorporate products for both men and children. 

Haberts’ thesis collection was on display at the FIT Footwear and Accessories Thesis Exhibition, open May 17-29, 2022 at the Feldman Center Lobby, 2nd Floor Vestibule. You can also follow her on Instagram @gisessories.

Dana Flores, is a New York based travel journalist, writer and editor. She covers fashion, travel, culture and feminism. Growing up between Chicago, IL and Mexico City, MX, Dana had access to travel from a young age and became fascinated with the nuances of culture and developed a personal ability to mold to different cultural landscapes. As she grew older, she further developed an acute capability to identify cultural patterns and nuances in different cultural settings. Since beginning university at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC, Dana has taken her experience as a participant observer, her intrinsic curiosity, ability to empathically listen and her love for language and writing, and translated these experiences into journalistic and creative writing. She is currently a contributing writer and editor for W27, the Fashion Institute of Technology's Official Newspaper.