‘Fine Line’ by Harry Styles: Album Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

I think it’s obvious to everyone that I love Harry Styles. His long-anticipated sophomore album, Fine Line, took the world by storm upon its release in December and I knew I had to write about it once I got my thoughts together! These are my mini-reviews of every song on Fine Line. Enjoy!

1. “Golden”

Behind its fun and upbeat rhythm, the lyrics to “Golden” are really powerful and make you think. It’s truly a sad song masked with a dance-y rhythm. I do think it’s a nice introduction to the album but it’s not one of my personal favorites!

Rating: 7/10

2. “Watermelon Sugar”

As soon as I heard this song for the first time when Harry performed it on SNL, I knew it was going to be one of my favorites. It’s so fun and quirky, which is exactly how I imagine Harry’s personality. I don’t know why Harry references fruit so much, but I’m not going to question it because I freaking love this song.

Rating: 9/10

3. “Adore You”

This song is SO groovy and I love it! Every single time I hear it, it makes me want to get up and dance. I’m not sure why but “Strawberry lipstick state of mind” might be one of my favorite Harry lyrics to date.

Rating: 9/10

4. “Lights Up”

I’ll never forget the moment that “Lights Up” came out. I loved it so much and it made me really excited for the album since it was the first single. Now, comparing it to the others, it’s not one of my favorites from the album as a whole but lyrically, this song is so beautiful and I think has a deeper meaning than what appears on the surface.

Rating: 7.5/10

5. “Cherry”

I know this song gets a lot of hate because of the voicemail at the end but I love this song! It’s truly about mourning the loss of another person and seeing them moving on with someone else. I think the voicemail gives the perfect amount of closure to the song.

Rating: 8.5/10

6. “Falling”

I get the chills every single time I hear “Falling.” I resonate with it so much and it makes me super emotional. It’s honest, vulnerable and I can’t wait to see this performed live. Harry might have made one of my favorite sad songs ever.

Rating: 10/10

7. “To Be So Lonely”

When I first heard this song, I didn’t like it very much at all. I thought it was kind of boring and repetitive. Although it’s still not one of my favorites, it grew on me a lot! I love that it incorporates some folk elements while still feeling like Harry.

Rating: 7.5/10

8. “She”

This song is so badass and catchy! The guitar solo is so awesome but it’s honestly too long for my taste. I usually end up skipping it after a minute or so. I love that it is more rock than some of the other songs on the album but it’s definitely not one of my favorites.

Rating: 6/10

9. “Sunflower, Vol. 6”

This song makes me feel so happy and giddy! During a few parts, I get “Bohemian Rhapsody” vibes, which I absolutely love! I think this was a really fun addition to the album.

Rating: 9/10

10. “Canyon Moon”

Oh my god, I love this song!! From the first strum of that guitar, I was hooked. It’s a song about nostalgia and having to be away from a place you miss. I’m always tapping away at my feet, from the whistles to the guitar to the clapping. This is on my list of my favorite songs of all time. It makes me want to scream, “I’m going home,” from the rooftops!

Rating: 10/10

11. “Treat People With Kindness”

As soon as I saw the track list and saw that this was going to be the name of one of the songs, I absolutely lost it! I was so excited to see what Harry would come up with using his famous motto. And boy, was I not disappointed! I smile from ear to ear every time I hear this song and it never fails to put me in a good mood. This song gets so much hate because it is really quirky, but I think it’s truly about Harry’s liberation and finding who he truly is.

Rating: 9.5/10

12. “Fine Line”

This is the perfect ending to the album. It’s hard to put into words how this song makes me feel but I can tell you that it is incredibly moving. The trumpets are such a beautiful addition to this song and the build-up towards the end gives me chills. I listen to this and all I know is that “we’ll be alright.”

Rating: 10/10

I’m a senior at the Fashion Institute of Technology majoring in Advertising and Marketing Communications with double minors in Psychology and Film & Media Studies! I'm a coffee addict, makeup fanatic and a true Long Islander! If I’m not in class, I’m usually watching movies as I dream of working in the film industry!