Blackpink Is The Revolution: A Look Into their 2020 Achievements

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Blackpink is one of the most popular and influential acts of 2020. Blackpink is a Korean girl group under entertainment powerhouse label YG Entertainment. The members consist of Jisoo, Jennie, Rosé, and Lisa. They’ve broken numerous records, won many awards and achievements, and have made sensational strides in the music industry. This year alone, they’ve received five Guinness World Records, an upcoming Netflix documentary, an upcoming October album, brand endorsements, and musical collaborations with big names in the Western music industry, like Lady Gaga and Selena Gomez. 

1. Guinness World Records

In late June, Blackpink released a new single, “How You Like That,” which came with stylish and dare I say iconic looks that many Blackpink fans, also known as Blinks, stand by. The music video received a whopping five Guinness World Records, including “Most Viewers For the Premiere of a Music Video on YouTube” and “Most Viewers For the Premiere of a Video on YouTube.” 

2. Upcoming October Album

A post shared by BLΛƆKPIИK (@blackpinkofficial) on

This October, the girls will be releasing a full album labeled, The Album. The album has already received 800,000 preorders for this album, to be released on October 2nd at midnight EST.

3. Upcoming Netflix Documentary

Following the October album release, Blackpink and Netflix will be releasing a documentary entitled, “Light Up The Sky,” confirmed to be released on October 14th. To celebrate the release of the documentary, the streaming service will also be offering profile icons of the girls. Director Caroline Suh is in charge of the documentary, which will feature brand new and unreleased content of the girls’ trainee days. The doc will also cover the girls’ hardships that they experienced leading into their 2019 Coachella performance. 

4. Brand Endorsements and Fashion 

A post shared by BVLGARI (@bulgari) on

The girls have received a handful of brand endorsements with the likes of many luxury brands. In January of 2018, Jennie was chosen as Chanel’s brand ambassador and has been repping their brand ever since. In December of 2019, Jisoo became Dior Beauty’s local ambassador. And this year, Rosé and Lisa became brand ambassadors for YSL and BVLGARI respectively. Overall, the group themselves have participated in an ad campaign for Adidas, with big names such as Pharell, Anitta, and Jackson Wang. These girls became instant trendsetters in the K-pop industry and became muses for designers and stylists alike through their individual Instagram accounts.

5. Music Collaborations

In 2018, pop singer-songwriter Dua Lipa collaborated and released a track titled “Kiss and Make Up,” which features the girls on Lipa’s self-titled album. This year, Blackpink is singing alongside pop superstars Lady Gaga and Selena Gomez. Lady Gaga’s 2020 album release Chromatica features the girls in a dance-pop, electro-pop, and deep house anthem that describes how they’re both sweet and tough in a relationship. However, in the song “Ice Cream,” featuring Selena Gomez, the bubblegum-pop beat song has ice cream related lyrics with double entendres. 

Blackpink have become musical innovators, putting themselves next to K-pop big leagues like BTS, EXO, Twice, and many more. These girls have a powerful influence, and they have much more coming with the amazing strides they’ve been making within the past four years of their music career. With the number of awards, recognitions, and records, they’re conquering the K-pop world one hair flip at a time, and no one is stopping them. 

Angela Vashti Valero (she/her) is a freshman at FIT who's currently studying Fashion Business Management. She aspires to work in the industry, as well as writing for fashion publications and websites. Born in the Philippines and living in Long Island, she's either wearing a full beat or a simple cat eye. You can find her listening to "Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)" or lurking around on Pinterest. You can reach her on Instagram on @angelavashti.
Carli is a 2022 grad of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and served as the style section editor for Her Campus. After being a national style writer for Her Campus, she launched Her Campus FIT. A born and raised Jersey Girl, she is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. In her spare time she loves running, jamming to Taylor Swift, and tracking down the best burgers. Find her on Instagram @carliannescloset.