Ariana Grande’s New Album is Here, And You Will Fall in Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

This late October, the pop princess released her sixth studio album entitled, Positions, based on the single released earlier this week. 

According to Apple Music, Positions is “flirty and playful – a flirty wave from the other side. Her joy is deserved.” She talks about growth and strength that she takes credit for in this new album. The album includes fourteen songs, including the title track song, “Positions.” The new album features collaborations with big names in the industry, such as Doja Cat, Ty Dolla $ign, and reunites with singer-songwriter The Weeknd. 

This album is much different than the others – leaning towards R&B (“off the table feat. The Weeknd,” “west side,” “safety net feat. Ty Dolla $ign,” ”my hair”) and experimenting her sound with retro beats (“love language”). Grande returns with long time collaborator Victoria Monet, Tayla Parx, and producer Tommy Brown for this fresh and new album. 

A post shared by Ariana Grande (@arianagrande) on

Many fans and music reviewers alike say that this is Grande’s most sensual and provocative yet. With songs that have more alluring themes (“34+35”, “nasty”), she still manages to explore her vulnerability and expresses it with such elegance that allows the listener to connect with her as if they had been on the ride of her life. Songs like “pov” and “shut up,” it feels as if Grande herself is sharing that she has been healing from the past couple of years of her life; coming off of multiple publicized relationships and breakups, a terrorist attack at her own concert, and the loss of one of her former significant others. 

Following her fifth studio album, thank u, next, is a beautiful growth from such a personal album. She tells a story with each song, gives a narrative for the album, and overall provides an experience that makes you want to listen to it as if it was your first. Her vocals have the listener wanting more from each song and reeling in the listener to have this album on non-stop repeat. While she is still searching for her sound and exploring all kinds of genres and subgenres, she still beautifully executes these songs with beauty and sophistication that is simply beyond comparison. 

Check out her new album on Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, and Tidal!

Angela Vashti Valero (she/her) is a freshman at FIT who's currently studying Fashion Business Management. She aspires to work in the industry, as well as writing for fashion publications and websites. Born in the Philippines and living in Long Island, she's either wearing a full beat or a simple cat eye. You can find her listening to "Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)" or lurking around on Pinterest. You can reach her on Instagram on @angelavashti.
Carli is a 2022 grad of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and served as the style section editor for Her Campus. After being a national style writer for Her Campus, she launched Her Campus FIT. A born and raised Jersey Girl, she is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. In her spare time she loves running, jamming to Taylor Swift, and tracking down the best burgers. Find her on Instagram @carliannescloset.