Style > Decor

All Of The Dorm Decorations for the Cutest Room on Your Floor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

While going back to school means leaving your friends and family from home, saying goodbye to free time, and returning to a busy schedule, it also means you get a whole new blank canvas of a dorm for you to decorate.  Here are a few ideas for decorating your dorm this year!

1. String lights

A post shared by dormify (@dormify) on

String lights are a great way to decorate and add extra lighting to your room.  Drape them over your tapestry or other decorations on your wall. 

2. Flower/Ivory garland

A post shared by College Fashionista (@cfashionista) on

Add a chic or bohemian flare to your room by hanging flowers or ivory garlands loosely on your walls.  

3. Plants 

A post shared by Crazy Plant Parents (@the_crazy_plant_parents) on

Add some greenery to your dorm with some plants to add a home-y touch.  You can also use fake ones, so you don’t have to worry about watering them.

4. Shelves

A post shared by Weekendend (@theweekendend) on

Shelves let you free up some space on your tables and desk and are a cute way to display your mugs, plants, or books. 

5. Tapestries

A post shared by College Memes & Tips (@collegelifemadeasy) on

Tapestries are another great way to decorate especially if you have a large bare wall and can’t think of many things to do with it. 

6. Clothing rack

A post shared by Maren (@frenchgraffito) on

Most dorm rooms come with a closet or wardrobe but, you can also use a clothing rack to free up some space and show off your cute clothes. 

7.  Throw pillows and blankets 

A post shared by DORM IDEAS (@dormstate) on

Make your bed super cute and cozy with throw pillows and blankets. You’ll be thankful for the extra blanket when winter arrives.

8. Rugs 

A post shared by dormify (@dormify) on

Getting out of bed in the morning is already horrible, and nothing is worse than stepping on the cold tile floors with bare feet.  A cute rug will not only warm up your feet, it will also make your dorm feel cozier and more like a home.

9.  Prints and photos 

A post shared by dormify (@dormify) on

Show off your photography skills or find photos to use on Pinterest. Pro tip: use the app “Free Prints” and you can get up to 85 4×6 prints each month, and all you have to pay for is shipping. Other size’s prices vary based on their size.  

Follow Lindsey on Instagram.

Lindsey is studying Fashion Business Management at the Fashion Institute of Technology. Her hobbies include spying on cute dogs, finding new ice cream places, and shopping. Follow her Instagram @lindseylabarbera
Carli is a 2022 grad of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and served as the style section editor for Her Campus. After being a national style writer for Her Campus, she launched Her Campus FIT. A born and raised Jersey Girl, she is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. In her spare time she loves running, jamming to Taylor Swift, and tracking down the best burgers. Find her on Instagram @carliannescloset.