Style

90’s Fashion Trends That Made a Comeback in 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

When it comes to fashion, history always repeats itself. One of the biggest trends that I’ve noticed this past year is the rise of the early 2000s or Y2K fashion. A ‘blast from the past’, there has been a resurgence of fashion trends from the late 90s to the early 2000s.

In the late 90s, for many, the year 2000 meant the start of a new era, and for others, it meant the literal end of the world. With this ideology in mind, luxury consumerism reflected futuristic trends that were being put in place. From designer clothing and logos to bling and chunky chain necklaces, this era represented the idea of streamlined technology.

In my opinion, the biggest reason for this comeback is that because of this pandemic, we are facing similar societal pressures to what people were facing in the 1990s; we’ve turned to technology to get us through these troubling times. Whether it be on TikTok, Instagram, or even my friend’s Pinterest board, the late 1990s and early 2000s fashion are one of the biggest fashion trends among Gen Z in 2020.

1. Baguette Shoulder Bag

A small compact handbag, baguettes were originally popularized by ‘Sex and the City’ in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Now, thanks to celebs such as Bella Hadid and Kendall Jenner, the baguette has made a comeback. From Prada to Louis Vuitton and Fendi, major fashion companies have been taking their own spin on this fun, statement piece.

2. Bandanas

Peak 90s nostalgia, bandanas have been a hair accessory staple that I’ve seen all throughout my social media feeds. Especially on TikTok, influencers like Charli D’Amelio and Addison Rae have worn this style in their videos. Wearing a bandana is super practical and super cute! I have a few of my own in my closet and they definitely add something a lil’ extra to any fit!

3. Baggy Jeans

Skater/baggy jeans were BOUND to make a comeback after low rise jeans made a comeback earlier this year. Oversized denim fashion is nothing new, but it’s always exciting to see which trends come back in style! Taken straight from the late 90s skater kids, this style is officially back and more exciting than ever. 

Hi everyone! My name is Maya Kristina Davila and I'm currently a freshman at FIT! I'm a fashion design major but I plan on becoming a stylist!! I love everything fashion and beauty related :) My Instagram is @maya.davila!!