Magnum Ice Cream x Iris Van Herpen Vegan Dress
Magnum Ice Cream x Iris Van Herpen
Style > Fashion

6 Fashion Trends to be Aware of in 2024

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

2024 will be here before you know it. Now that all the global fashion weeks and some of the biggest events of the year are over, we’ve got a pretty good idea of what some of the significant fashion trends will be next year. Bringing back some 90s style mixed with some old money sophistication and inspiration from the early-mid 2000s, there’s a lot of eccentricity that will be the star of the new year. Here are six fashion trends that you are definitely going to see in 2024. 

Metallics

You’ve seen Paris Hilton and Britney Spears rock the hot metallic looks in the early 2000s whether it’s in a pink or blue, but silver and gold metallics are gonna be one of the hottest trends in 2024. From top to bottom, mixing & matching, this fashion trend will catch the attention of others for sure. There were many metallic looks from the Met Gala after party looks to fashion week this year, however, that was just the beginning. Gabriela Hearst was definitely proof of that with her runway shows this year, and so was Taylor Russell when she showed up in a full on metal coat for Loewe’s spring/summer 2024 runway show in Paris. We will be seeing more of the chic, metallics of silver and gold along with some bold colors within the next year. 

Sheer

It seems that sheer material makes a comeback every few years, and it looks like next year, it will be returning in a more modest and classy way. Prada and Coperni made sure of that, and if you take a look at Stella McCartney, they seem to have gotten the hint, too, with the amount of sheer options they have available. Last year, lace was a big revival and has been curated to be sexy and simple in many ways. In 2024, we are bound to see how sheer outfits make a new change in the fashion industry with its many stylistic alternatives. 

Long coats

Yes, long coats have been around for decades. Yes, every year, there are new variations of long coats that come out because people like them so much. Yes, winter is coming, and almost everyone decides on a long coat. However, we are really going to see a lot of it in the winter time during 2024. New York and London have already started wearing their long trench coats and dad coats with the cold winds coming their way. The only new thing about the long coat trend is that we are going to see many upcycled versions and a lot of grey. While tans, navy blues, and blacks are go-to colors for coats, grey is going to be the superior color of the winter. It blends with everything, matches with many options, and it’s not a basic black. Although, we love a black staple piece. Along with the color, we are going to see many reworked coats. From no lapels to patches, to mixed buttons, or random fabrics, there’s going to be a lot of variation in coats for the new year. 

Rose details

Who doesn’t love a good floral moment? We’ve witnessed the ups and downs of floral on clothing, except this fashion trend (which we have seen a few times this year) is going to be huge in 2024. Instead of being splattered all over the fabrics, rose details are going to be three-dimensional on the pieces which gives it a more mature and elegant look. Everyone loves an outfit that makes them look fancier, but not trying too hard. The rose “look” is definitely a mix of sultry and flattering in a high-toned way. Devon Lee Carlson, Emma Chamberlain, and Hailey Bieber were some stand-outs this year from rose chokers to rose outfit details. You can find a lot of rose detail options from With Jéan, Reformation, Depop, and Revolve

Train

Feels like we might be back in the early 2010s with this fashion resurgence when high-low dresses were at its top and skirts needed to be made unique in a way. The “train” is coming back in 2024, in ways you think they are and ways that will blow your mind away. We tend to think of wedding dresses when it comes to train detail, however, the fashion industry has proved that is not the case. From tops to skirts to dresses, coats, and scarves, the “train” is going to be seen in different aspects. Whether it’s hanging down your arm, down your leg, in front of your body, behind your body, it’s there to stand out and make any outfit look a bit more upscale. 

ribbon/bows

Let’s thank our girl, Gracie Abrams, for the effortless ribbon look. Although we can say she wasn’t the complete start of the trend, she for sure inspired others recently to recreate her iconic but subtle hairstyle to the point of ribbon/ bows on clothing. We have Sabrina Carpenter, Madison Beer, Olivia Rodrigo, and many more younger artists who have been on the trend with this innocent but cute, babydoll look. People who have always wanted to be a ballerina when they were younger, now is your chance to dress like a ballerina in 2024 in a more modern way, of course. From ribbon and bows in the hair, the fashion industry has managed to incorporate it in tops, bottoms, dresses, and shoes. 

Aneesha is a senior at the Fashion Institute of Technology studying Advertising and Marketing Communications focusing on journalism.