Kayla Bacon-Love Your Melon Group
Kayla Bacon-Love Your Melon Group
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus

5 Things You Can Do to Show the People You Love How Thankful You Are For Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

1. Small tokens of appreciation

Whether it be sending them $5 on Venmo to buy a coffee to get through finals week or calling/texting out of the blue to tell them how much they mean to you, reaching out to show someone you care will go such a long way. Getting big gifts for your loved ones is a nice gesture, but it’s the little random acts of kindness that truly show how much you love them and think about them.

2. Be an active listener

I know it sounds self-explanatory, but it’s crazy how many people don’t do this! When you’re hanging out with a friend and they’re telling you a story, stay off your phone and look them in the eyes! Make sure you’re actively listening to them because it makes them feel important and heard. That text you just got from your boyfriend can wait.

3. Make time for them

Especially around the holidays, it’s normal to get busy and get caught up in the gifts and the dysfunctional family parties. Making time to spend one-on-one time with a friend or family member. Even if it’s just for an hour or two, it will remind them that they’re an important part of your life, no matter what is going on in both of your lives.

4. Remember the little things

If you’re an active listener when talking to your loved ones, it’s easy to remember the little things they say. For example, if your brother says he loves a certain band, listen to their songs and tell him that you checked their music out! This will go such a long way. I love when people remember the little things about me because it shows that they are truly listening and those little things are what makes every person so unique.

5. Go out of your way to do them a favor

If a friend asks for your help moving, or one of your parents wants you to help them cook dinner because they had a long day, go out of your way and do it. No matter how inconvenient it is for you, do it. They will be so thankful that you went out of your way to give them a hand.

I’m a senior at the Fashion Institute of Technology majoring in Advertising and Marketing Communications with double minors in Psychology and Film & Media Studies! I'm a coffee addict, makeup fanatic and a true Long Islander! If I’m not in class, I’m usually watching movies as I dream of working in the film industry!