This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Spending quality time with yourself is so important, especially for your mental health. Sometimes this means staying in and binge watching your favorite series, but other times you may want to explore or try new things. This allows you to focus on yourself and grow. Living in New York City, there are never ending ways to enjoy your own company.

Here are 5 fun things to do when you want to spend some time alone in the city:

1. Check out a bookstore.

Whether it be at The Strand or Barnes and Noble, there are countless books to discover and browse through. Using the Goodreads app is a great way to find a book that interests you. You can also visit Housing Works Bookstore in Soho, which is where the last scene in Taylor Swift’s All Too Well: The Short Film takes place.

2. Go for a walk.

Thankfully, spring is just around the corner, meaning daily walks will finally be enjoyable again. Whether it be taking a walk in your neighborhood or strolling through your favorite park, this is a great time to listen to music or do some self reflection. If you’re feeling up to it, you can even walk The High Line or Brooklyn Bridge.

3. Explore a museum.

Visiting a museum alone can be very calming and inspiring. You have all the time to appreciate the art around you without the pressures of social interaction. A museum is the perfect place to bring a sketchbook or simply just enjoy your time people-watching.

4. Go to a new coffee shop.

Living in New York City means having endless coffee options. Instead of just ordering and leaving, it’s relaxing to sit down and read a book or catch up on some work. A coffee shop is the perfect atmosphere to spend your alone time comfortably.

5. Go to thrift shops and antique stores.

This gives you the opportunity to find a fun new piece for your closet or spot that album you’ve been looking for. Going thrifting alone means taking as much time as you need to find something you love.

Jacqueline is the Editor-in-Chief and Vice President of Her Campus at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC. She is graduating with a BS in Advertising and Marketing Communications and a minor in English. When she's not writing or reading, you can find her watching early 2000s rom-coms and listening to Taylor Swift.