5 New York City Photo Spots Your Instagram Will Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Although the “The Concrete Jungle” may not sound too appealing and fitting for the most amazing and “Instagramable” photo spots, to let you in on a secret, New York City is the jackpot of photo locations for any photographer with its never ending options of unique backgrounds for any photoshoot imaginable. Fitting with the current rise and rave of social media, New York City is filled with the most “Instagrammable” photo spots; so here’s a few ideas of five New York City starter Instagram photo spots.

1. The Vessel – Hudson Yards

A post shared by Hudson Yards New York (@hudsonyards) on

The abstract extravagant centerpiece art piece of Hudson Yards nicknamed “The Beehive,” is a new must see for tourists and all New Yorkers. The Vessel, having just opened in early 2019, is a climbable 16-story, 150-foot-high, almost spiral designed structure staircase, with 154 stairs in counting, imagined by Thomas Heatherwick and Heatherwick Studio. Built as a “focal point where people can enjoy new perspectives of the city and one another from different heights, angles and vantage points”. It is also the perfect location and background for an iconic New York City photo! 

2. The Flatiron District – Flatiron Building

A post shared by Herschel Supply (@herschelsupply) on

The Flatiron building, always a glamorous photo op, is located next to another signature NYC hot spot, Madison Square Park. One can capture their inner fashion blogger moment with a photo in front of the 1900’s golden clock located in front of the Fifth Avenue Building at Madison Square with the historic Flatiron building as the backdrop. 

3. FIT Student art wall on 28th Street (my personal favorite)

A post shared by FIT NYC (@fitnyc) on

A known cool spot by New York “midtowners” is The FIT art wall located on 28th street between 7th and 8th avenue. This photo spot is located bordering the #1 rated best fashion school in the world, The Fashion Institute of Technology, and created by artistic students of the college. This wall is always a fun spot to pose with some unique artwork of aspiring artists and talented students. Usually a first photo shoot spot stop for many aspiring or accepted incoming FIT students.

4. DUMBO’s Washington Street and Water Street

A post shared by ℕ????? ???????? (@nicoledominici) on

DUMBO, standing for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass, is one of the most iconic photo spots located in Brooklyn. The best spot is between/on Washington Street and Water Street. With the cobblestone street foreground, The Manhattan Bridge as the beautiful backdrop, and the breathtaking Manhattan skyline in the distance, this spot provides all the right features to snap the perfect Instagram photo!

5. Brooklyn Bridge

A post shared by Rachel Martino (@rachmartino) on

This spot and bridge itself is worth an Instagram post. The Brooklyn Bridge was built in 1869, with the alluring towers built of limestone, granite and cement. Connecting Manhattan and Brooklyn, this bridge has not only a history, but a huge photo opportunity marking as it is a must-see spot for anyone visiting or living in New York. This spot captures the stunning panoramic skyline of all New York’s most known skyscrapers, from the Empire State Building, to the One World Trade Center. Every New York lover’s Instagram needs a photo on this bridge.

A senior at The Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City! Studying Fashion Business Management, and Advertising Marketing Communications. With a passion for all things fashion, and beauty related. On the weekends I enjoy spending time with family and friends and also exploring NYC with friends, taking photos, shopping, and going to cute coffee shops and restaurants!
Carli is a 2022 grad of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and served as the style section editor for Her Campus. After being a national style writer for Her Campus, she launched Her Campus FIT. A born and raised Jersey Girl, she is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. In her spare time she loves running, jamming to Taylor Swift, and tracking down the best burgers. Find her on Instagram @carliannescloset.