Wellness > Mental Health

4 Small Changes You Can Make This New Year That Have a Big Impact

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

New Year’s resolutions can be such a daunting idea. Instead, why not start off small and add some changes one day at time? These four small deeds just might do the trick to get you on the right path and bring some positive changes to your new year. 

1. Make your bed

four orange pillows on a bed with flowers on the bedside table
Photo by Liana Mikah from Unsplash
Making your bed in the morning gets you up and moving and helps to give you a sense of accomplishment to start your day off right. It is a simple and easy task that may even help you get more done during the day. 

2. Drink water

Want to add more hydration to your day? Try drinking a glass of water in the morning and at night. By starting and ending your day with proper hydration, it can make you feel better and give you more energy throughout the day. 

3. Read

woman wearing white floral top reading bible
Photo by Benigno Hoyuela from Unsplash
Get you mind away from technology and set aside some time to get lost in a good book. Set a timer for 10 minutes a day to read those pages you have been putting off and before you know it, you will have stack of finished books on your bedside table 

4. Meditate 

woman sitting on white bed stretching
Photo by Bruce Mars from Unsplash
Meditation does not have to be a long process. It can be as simple as setting a timer for five minutes a day or week, putting on your favorite song, and taking a few deep breaths. Taking the time to check in with yourself will only have positive long-term effects.

Hello, my name is Anna Valenta I am a current Senior at the Fashion Institute of Technology studying Cosmetic and Fragrance Marketing and minoring in English with emphasis on writing. I am from New Jersey and love traveling, beauty, and the beach. I like trying new things and have a very outgoing personality and I hope you enjoy reading my articles just as much as I enjoy writing them!
Carli is a 2022 grad of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and served as the style section editor for Her Campus. After being a national style writer for Her Campus, she launched Her Campus FIT. A born and raised Jersey Girl, she is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. In her spare time she loves running, jamming to Taylor Swift, and tracking down the best burgers. Find her on Instagram @carliannescloset.