10 Halloween Costume Ideas from Things You (Probably) Have at Home!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner, and although things are quite different this year, it is no excuse not to dress up! Luckily there are lots of costumes you can put together using things you most likely already have at home.

1. ​Wednesday Addams​

Dressing up as this iconic character is simple: Black dress, white collared button up underneath, two pigtails, unamused expression, and you’re set!

2. ​Holly Golightly​

Another iconic queen; all you need is a little black dress, pearls, a bun, and large sunglasses. Extra points for the gloves and cigarette holder.

3. ​Cheetah/Cat/Leopard​

I know this may be ~basic~ but it is definitely reliable. Most people already have cheetah or leopard print clothes, then just add cat ears and draw on some whiskers with eyeliner.

4. ​Mia Wallace​

If you have a black bob with bangs, this costume is for you. All you need is a white button up, black bra and black pants. Add a fake cigarette and fake nosebleed with make up, and you are ready to dance like Uma Therman.

5. ​Kim Possible​

Now if you have red hair, then this is the costume for you. Wear a black turtleneck and olive pants, and extra points if you have a blonde boyfriend to dress up as Ron Stoppable.

6. ​Rosie the Riveter​

All you need to dress up as the OG working girl is a red bandana, denim shirt or jacket, and the empowerment to crush the patriarchy.

7. ​Britney Spears in ‘Baby One More Time​’

To recreate this classic look, you will need a white button up, grey sweater, black skirt, knee highs, and pigtails with pink pom pom hair ties or pink scrunchies.

8. ​Sandy (after her ‘transformation’​)

To dress up as this Rydell High gal you will need: tight black pants (preferably spandex), a black short sleeve shirt, black heels, teased hair and red lipstick.

9. ​Scarecrow

Another basic but classic costume, just wear overalls or jeans, a flannel shirt, and do some scarecrow make up. Add a straw hat if you have one!

10.​ Blair Waldorf

If you are a Gossip Girl fan with a preppy closet, this is the costume for you. Don’t forget the iconic headband and designer bag.

Reminder: cultural appropriation as a costume is never cute, so don’t do it. Happy Halloween!

FIT NYC 22 Advertising Marketing Communications Ethics & Sustainability
Carli is a 2022 grad of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and served as the style section editor for Her Campus. After being a national style writer for Her Campus, she launched Her Campus FIT. A born and raised Jersey Girl, she is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. In her spare time she loves running, jamming to Taylor Swift, and tracking down the best burgers. Find her on Instagram @carliannescloset.