This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

If you’re an avid movie-goer who has also made becoming a book connoisseur one of your New Year’s resolutions, here is a list of movies that originally started out as novels. You can now kill two birds with one stone!

1. The Turning 

Release Date: January 23, 2020 

A post shared by The Turning (@turningmovie) on Jan 25, 2020 at 2:00pm PST

This horror movie directed by Floria Sigismondi, is based off of the 1898 novella, “Turn of the Screw”, by Henry James. The modern take on this ghost story stars Mackenzie Davis, Finn Wolfhard, and Brooklyn Prince. This new version of a story that has been terrifying audiences for generations is about a nanny named Kate (Davis) who is hired to take care of orphans (Prince and Wolfhard). The orphans, as well as the mansion, turn out to be more haunted and disturbed than she anticipated. 

Buy the book here

2. The Rhythm Section 

Release Date: January 31, 2020 

A post shared by The Rhythm Section (@therhythmsectionmovie) on Dec 16, 2019 at 11:36pm PST

This thriller is based off of the book The Rhythm Section, by Mark Burnell. Starring Blake Lively as Stephanie Patrick, her life becomes damaged and torn by a plane crash that killed her family. When she discovers that it wasn’t an accident, she sets herself on a mission for revenge. 

Buy the book here

3. Gretel and Hansel 

Release Date: January 31, 2020 

A post shared by Gretel & Hansel Movie (@gandhmovie) on Jan 29, 2020 at 8:59am PST

Directed by Oz Perkins, the story of this pair of siblings is turned into a dark fantasy horror film. Although, you may already know the tale of Hansel and Gretel through one of many adaptations or child-friendly versions, nothing compares to reading the original tale by the Brothers Grimm. And, while you’re refreshing your memory of this tale, maybe take a look back through some other beloved child fairy tales that might not have originally had such happy endings. 

Buy the book here

4. To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You 

Release Date: February 12, 2020

A post shared by To All The Boys? (@toalltheboysnetflix) on Jan 25, 2020 at 12:29pm PST

Sequel to the first movie, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, Lara Jean must navigate new relationship challenges when one of the recipients of her love letters comes back into her life, throwing her current relationship into a tumultuous state. The movie series is based on the YA series written by Jenny Han; the second book in the series being P.S. I Still Love You

Buy the book here

5. After We Collided 

Release Date February 13, 2020

A post shared by After Movie (@aftermovie) on Aug 3, 2019 at 8:01pm PDT

After We Collided is based off the novel of the same name by Anna Todd. The movie is the sequel to the film After. The original had some polarizing reviews, but everyone needs a guilty pleasure novel once in a while. Why not make this yours? The movie picks up from the first, following Tessa and Hardin’s relationship.  

Buy the book here

6. The Call of the Wild 

Release Date: February 21, 2020

A post shared by Call of the Wild (@callofthewild) on Jan 30, 2020 at 1:00pm PST

This film is based on the classic short adventure novel written by Jack London in 1903. The Call of the Wild takes place in Yukon, Canada during the Klondike Gold Rush. The story is told from the point of view of a dog named Buck, who is stolen from his home and sold to become a sled dog. 

Buy the book here

7. Stargirl 

Release Date: March 13, 2020

A post shared by Stargirl (@stargirl) on Jan 16, 2020 at 7:00am PST

Stargirl is another story that you may be familiar with. Jerry Spinelli’s story, which will be adapted by Disney for the big screen, is one that explored the emotions of high schoolers as they learn to navigate conformity, self-expression, and the thrill of a first love. If you’re looking for the nostalgia that Disney is great for, then catch up and read the story before watching the movie. 

Buy the book here

8. The Personal History of David Copperfield 

Release Date: May 8, 2020

A post shared by GabyRoslin (@gabyroslin) on Jan 25, 2020 at 11:10am PST

Dev Patel stars as the title character in this film: David Copperfield. His life tales are chronicled from childhood to adulthood. The movie is based on the Victorian era novel, David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens. The classic novel is transformed into a comedy drama. 

Buy the book here

9. The Woman in the Window 

Release Date: May 15, 2020 

A post shared by The Woman in the Window (@womaninthewindow) on Dec 19, 2019 at 7:00am PST

Rear Window takes inspiration from the novel of the same name from A.J. Finn. The movie stars Amy Adams, a child psychologist and agoraphobic, who sees her best friend (played by Julianne Moore) get murdered in the building across the street… or did she? 

Buy the book here

10. Death on the Nile 

Release Date: October 9, 2020 

A post shared by Hari (@theobvious.mystery) on Jan 27, 2020 at 8:07pm PST

Death on the Nile is a sequel to the film Murder on the Orient Express. This sequel is based on the 1937 novel by Agatha Christie. Like the book, the plot still follows detective Hercule Poirit, played by Kenneth Branagh, who this time becomes involved in a love triangle which takes a murderous turn while vacationing in Egypt. 

Buy the book here

Tania is a Fashion Business Management major at FIT and is currently a Sophomore. She loves art, reading and writing and honestly any excuse to talk about all three.