Stand Up Comedian: Bill Bellamy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Stand up comedian, Rutgers Alum, Actor; Bill Bellamy first gained national notoriety on HBO’s Russell Simmons’ Def Comedy Jam where he coined the phrase “booty call”. Bellamy has used his comedic skills to not just make people laugh but to bolster his way onto the stardom level. Bellamy has been a staple on MTV as a VJ, he’s starred in a number of movies including Love Jones, The Brothers, Any Given Sunday, How To Be A Player, Getting Played.

HC FAMU: You came to our campus for our homecoming. What were some things you participated in at Rutgers for Homecoming?

BB: We always had a huge step show, a game and a 9-to-9 party. The party was from nine to nine literally; they used to be all day long. Homecoming at Rutgers was fun; there was a lot of cool stuff going on everywhere.

HC FAMU: What were your career aspirations prior to attending Rutgers?

BB: I was business major first then I switched my major to economics with a minor in marketing. Everything is marketing, and when I was learning that stuff I thought it was fly. I decided to use myself as a brand, I wanted people to look at my name and laugh.  From Def Comedy Jam to MTV I always try to be funny, venturing into acting was an act of wanting to try something new.  So when I’m not funny and acting in the movie “Love Jones” for example, I can be serious or an asshole but I play a nice asshole.

HC FAMU: Do you believe your concentration in economics at Rutgers helped you keep your head balanced in terms of money? As you started booking shows and signing contracts? If so, explain your reasoning.

BB: I always keep a mindset of a businessman. What are we doing in 5 years? What’s our plan? This gives you the balance you need to stay on target. In one week I’ll go from a voting poll to shooting in Las Vegas to a university homecoming, it’s like your just moving most of the time and you’ll look up and wonder what day is it.

HC FAMU: What is it like being an African-American comedian?

BB: For me it has a lot of excitement to it, I like the opportunities. I can do a lot of things with my comedy career. Like help with voter registration, shoot a movie, play a role in a TV show.  It’s like the beacon that attracts positivity in my life.

HC FAMU: What advice do you have to other comedians coming up?

BB: Give much space and time to get on stage. Use every opportunity. I went from performing at open mics to hosting shows, opening in clubs; you have to get up there and practice.

Quirky, humble, always ready to have a good time, Ian McRae has a plan to take on the world, one day at a time. Raised in Tallahassee Fla. Ian currently attends Florida A&M University as a junior public relations student. Ian chartered a TOMS Campus Club and currently serves as Journey Magazine's public relations director. After college Ian plans on working at a fashion publication and one day becoming an editor. Late nights, early mornings, planning events, gathering press is more than his passion, it's his way of life.