#ProtectYourStrands : A Guide to the L.O.C Method

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

As summer approaches many women are fretting about what they can do to protect their strands.  They are worried that the colder weather will take a heavy toll on their hair and leave them with dry and brittle hair.  We all know that hair, especially kinkier hair textures, require a lot of TLC.  Most of this TLC includes multiple products and hours spent making sure that hair is perfectly moisturized and styled. 

The L.O.C Method is a method that is used by thousands of women to moisturizer their hair.  L.O.C stands for Leave-In, Oil, Cream, and when all three of these steps are followed your strands are sure to be feeling and looking healthier than ever before. 

1.  Leave-In:  Leave-In conditioners are great for the hair anytime, especially when the hair has previously been moisurized with water. When using the this method try and let the water penetrate your strands for 15 minutes before adding the product to your hair.  My favorite Leave-In is Karen’s Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia Leave-In Conditioner.  It always leaves my hair feeling incredibly moisturizer and it smells divine!

2. Oil: An amazing oil should definitely be something everyone keeps in their bathrooms.  Oils are great because the penetrate your strands to add that extra OOMPH! So once you have add your leave-in go in with an oil and work it through out your hair and make sure you focus on your end. Some great oils for hair are Coconut Oil, Jajoba Oil, Olive Oil, Argan Oil, and Castor Oil. 

3. Cream: This is where the “Hair Junkie” in all of us come in.  A cream refers to all those amazing styling products that are scattered around the bathroom.  Grab your favorite one and begin styling.  Once you apply your cream of choice and begin styling you are locking in all the moisture provided by the leave-in and the oil.  Plus, the cream provides an extra layer of moisture! A great creamy product is the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie! 

If if you follow all these steps, at your own variation, you are sure to have incredibly moisurized hair this winter!