Meet: President of the FAMU Chapter of BSLS, Jasmine Louis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Jasmine Louis and I have quite a history. I’ve know Jasmine since my freshman year. She was the RA of the floor above me in the dorm my freshman year, Wheatley Hall to be exact. And, she was one of the first members I met in Big Sister Little Sister. Since then she has become president of the organization so I decided to ask her a few questions now that she’s over the biggest female mentoring organization on campus. You’re in for a quite a treat! :)

Name: Jasmine C. Louis
Major: English Education
Classification: 4th year
Hometown: Winter Park, Fla by way of Brooklyn, NY
Campus Involvement: President of Big Sister Little Sister Mentoring Program and Member of TOMS Club FAMU.

HC FAMU: Describe your journey at FAMU in one word.
JL: Unprecedented

HC FAMU: You’re president of the biggest female mentoring organization on campus. How do you do it?
JL: It is extremely difficult and sometimes I don’t get much sleep! Between classes, studying, meetings, extracurricular activities, and other interests I try not to have a nervous breakdown! With that being said, I actually do not mind all the chaos because I know we’re making a difference on this campus and in our peers’ lives.

HC FAMU: How has mentoring others helped you?
JL: It has taught me that no matter how big or small the problem, trauma, and sometimes drama, that you can always use a helping hand. Often times, we as black women want to do things for ourselves and be independent but we’re human not heroes.

HC FAMU: Any big plans for BSLS (Big Sister Little Sister Mentoring Program) this year?
JL: This year our main goal is to get our organization to the best it has ever been and to provide an immense amount of service opportunities for our girls. Our spring and summer semesters are going to be HUGE!

HC FAMU: What are three things that you can’t live without?
JL: Books, animal print, and lipstick!

HC FAMU: Where do you see yourself in five years?
JL: In five years I see myself teaching high school English Literature and being well on my way to completing my doctorate degree!

HC FAMU: Favorite place on campus.
JL: The green patio tables on the quad, preferably the one right outside the Commons.

HC FAMU: Do you have any role models?
JL: I have a plethora of role models but, the most important would be my mom. I received all my determination, work ethic, and selflessness from her.

Itopia is a senior from New Rochelle, New York studying Magazine Production. She is the founder of Florida A&M's campus branch. After graduation, Itopia plans to move back to NY and go to fashion school! In her spare time Itopia enjoys tweeting, browing on Tumblr, eating and listening to music.