Kourtney Berry, ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Name: Kourtney Berry
Major: Public relations
Relationship status: In a relationship
Hometown: Tampa, Fla
Campus involvement: 2010-2011 orientation leader, fall 2010-fall 2011 New Student Orientation Office assistant, member of the Beta Alpha Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., member of Prodigy PR firm, and a contributing writer for the FAMUAN.

HC FAMU: What is your favorite university event?
KB: My favorite university event is homecoming. Not even for all the concerts and stuff like that; it’s just really good to see how many people come back and support us. It’s so great to see the streets full of people. I love the vendor food. You can buy little things from other vendors, and everyone is in their FAMU gear. It’s just really fun to network and speak to random people who are here.

HC FAMU: What are three things you like to do in your spare time?
KB: I like to organize things. That may be kind of weird but I like to clean and make things pretty in my house. I love to listen to music. I love a lot of different genres, anything like jazz, hip-hop, country, or pop music. Listening to music calms me down and keeps me stress free. I also like to write. Of course schoolwork keeps me writing all the time so I like preparing myself for the future.

HC FAMU: What is the hardest class you’ve taken at FAMU?
KB: I would say biology. As a PR student we don’t do math or science because we don’t like that kind of stuff. Biology was probably my worst class, but somehow I came out with an A.

HC FAMU: What are your biggest turn-offs in a guy?
KB: Someone who is really stuck on themselves; I don’t like guys who are always in the mirror. I’m supposed to be the pretty one in the relationship so I don’t want you to spend so much time on yourself. I also don’t like guys who aren’t family oriented or have some sense of caring for people. I like guys who like animals, and kids, and things like that; so it’s a turn-off if you’re just like all anti-family.

HC FAMU: Who is your celebrity crush?
KB: Justin Timberlake hands down. I’ve loved him since I was like in 5th grade and things really haven’t changed. He will always be that one celebrity that you would go crazy over, years later. If I saw him I would probably die right there in the middle of the street.

HC FAMU: What qualities do you look for in a guy?
KB: They have to be smart and have a sense of where they’re going. They also need to be funny. I love to laugh and I’m really goofy so I would want us to be goofy together. Somebody that likes to go out to places, but at the same time is not the center of attention. Sometimes we can just hang out on the couch and watch movies; so kind of like a balance between someone who like to go out and have fun and someone who can also chill out and hang out around the house.

HC FAMU: What is your guilty pleasure food?
KB: Publix cupcakes, I love them. It doesn’t have to be anybody’s birthday or a special occasion, but if I’m in there and I have the money to spare, I will pick up those cupcakes.

HC FAMU: What feature would you notice on a guy first?
KB: Their smile; if you’re smile makes me smile, that’s a good thing.

HC FAMU: How do you know if a guy is right for you?
KB: Somebody who you just really can’t do anything without like when you think about something, you think about them. When you can do anything with them; whether it’s going to the mall, church, or family events. When you feel that and you just know, you wouldn’t want that person to leave. It’s just a feeling you get in your heart; you’re just like yeah, you’re stuck with me.

Itopia is a senior from New Rochelle, New York studying Magazine Production. She is the founder of Florida A&M's campus branch. After graduation, Itopia plans to move back to NY and go to fashion school! In her spare time Itopia enjoys tweeting, browing on Tumblr, eating and listening to music.