This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

This semester’s biannual “J School Journals” student documentary night will feature the work of FAMU’s School of Journalism and Graphic Communication broadcast journalism students Kristen Swilley and Brandon McMullen.

Kristen Swilley is an award-winning student journalist that has served in many leadership roles in the SJGC including editor-in-chief of Journey Magazine and weather anchor for FAMU TV 20. Brandon McMullen is a talented videographer, and founder of a media production company, BMMB, which specializes in photography, film production, advertisements, tutorials, documentaries and more.

“Brandon has been a great partner. I am so privileged to work with such a great videographer. I am so proud of our final product and I hope people enjoy it,” Swilley says.

Charged with the task of choosing a subject that would interest both the student body and the Tallahassee community, Swilley and McMullen decided on the controversial topic of illegal immigrants. With chosen documentary topics covering the issues of African Americans and swimming, plus-sized women, and a “need to belong,” Swilley and McMullen found the issue of illegal immigrants to reflect the ever changing, diverse, and sometimes judgmental place that we call home: America.

“I really wanted to cover an issue that reflected America’s ever-changing demographics. In a few years Hispanics will be the majority and not the minority. As African Americans we know what it is like to not be able to swim, we know what it’s like to be discriminated against, but I wanted to tell a story for us to see things in another perspective,” Swilley says.

Invisible Prey presents a side of illegal immigrants that many Americans fail to acknowledge. While many illegal immigrants flee to this country in search of a better life for their families, they are sometimes treated as criminals. Avoiding paper trails, they are often targeted for crimes such as rape, robbery and murder, but the fear of being deported keeps them quiet. Invisible Prey delves into the struggle of illegal immigrants and displays stories that are often left obscure.

Check out Invisible Prey at this semester’s “J School Journals” which takes place in Lee Hall this Saturday December 8th at 7 pm.

Can’t wait to see the doc on Saturday? Check out the trailer HERE!