Ferissa Connell, ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Bright, bubbly and fun do no justice to describe this week’s campus celebrity, Ferrisa Connell. A sophomore public relations student from Tampa, Fla., Ferissa is constantly on the go and never stops. Upon hearing her nomination as a Her Campus Florida A&M’s Campus Celebrity, Connell said she was, “Super shocked. Like What? It was definitely a humbling honor.”

Born in Lakeland, Fla., Ferrisa is a southern belle. She grew up in Tampa, which is where she subsequently graduated from Blake High School. Her earliest childhood memories include having pretend talk shows with her sister, having bake sales, yard sales and being a girl scout. Connell notes that being an entrepreneur was always a part of her life. “My parents installed work ethic in me,” said Connell.

Connell, only 20-years-old, has her own public relations firm, Ferrisa Communications, where she helps “clients find the missing links and/or help the get connected to there next step in life, business and school.” Connell says that balancing a public relations firm takes a lot of prayer, patience and laughter. She believes that being in college is the perfect time to start a business because it’s “trial and error.”

Typically she has early mornings and even later nights. “I am always on the go. I stop randomly to talk to people in between classes and work; to catch up and/or update them on latest news and opportunities,” said Connell. “Homework is must. So I like to get away to study for an hour or two. I am always networking.”

Beyond school and work, Connell is just as atypical to her peers. Rather than scurrying to the local watering hole to relax she enjoys lattes, good books, great company and being outdoors. “I love fishing,” said Connell. Yet, she does have a few qualities that most identify with. She keeps secrets, and describes her celebrity crushes as Ryan Gosling, Reggie Bush, and Donald Glover.

Connell is an interesting person and has even more interesting idiosyncrasies:

• She is bear safety certified.
  • Besides her African American heritage, she is also German and Scottish.
  • She has a love of theatre.
  • She is a Florida native who owns more boots than flip flops. “The ratio is like 12:1,” said Connell.
  • Growing up she wanted to be a weather girl because she thought they controlled the weather.

Connell lives by a simple motto: Always stay positive, no matter what. She believes that everything will happen for a reason and in the end it will all work out. “Be confident in knowing who you are and what you are capable of achieving,” said Connell.

Connell, an advocate of setting goals, says that her ultimate goal is to help anyone achieve their dreams while also traveling around the world.