FAMU Apparel sales still at an all time high

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

In 2010, FAMU was ranked No. 1 among HBCUs in sales of licensed merchandise. The profits from the licensed selling of FAMU’s merchandise contributes a portion of the funds to the school’s athletic scholarships. The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) is one of the nation’s leading collegiate trademark, licensing and marketing companies. Through the CLC, a license can be purchased to sell FAMU merchandise in four different levels.

Although many students have FAMU T-shirts and sweat pants for days, others prefer to showcase their school pride with different items.

“I prefer to just wear orange and green rather than official FAMU apparel to show school spirit,” said Simeon Dixon, 21, a fourth year professional MBA student from Portland, Oregon. “As for official FAMU gear, I have bags, hats and decorations for my room,” said Dixon. 

Merchandise is mostly sold through the campus bookstore, Wal-Mart and vendors during homecoming. Necessary precautions are usually taken during homecoming and other big events at FAMU to ensure that the FAMU trademark is not taken advantage of. Florida Statute 831.05 (vending goods or services with counterfeit trademarks or service marks) makes it a third-degree felony for the possession or sell of merchandise with counterfeit trademarks valued at $1,000 or more and a first-degree misdemeanor if merchandise is valued under $1,000. Violations usually result in the confiscation of all illegal merchandise and can result in arrest.

In 2009, FAMU joined the Victoria’s Secret PINK collegiate collection. FAMU paraphernalia was sold in Tallahassee Victoria’s Secret stores as well as online. Students were given the chance to serve as PINK campus ambassadors and the PINK pop-up store frequented FAMU’s campus. As of the beginning of this year, FAMU gear is no longer sold online as part of the PINK collegiate collection. 

“There’s a number of reasons FAMU is no longer sold with the collection online. It could be due to low sales numbers or university regulations. If FAMU students want their merchandise back online with the collection, they really should provide strong feedback through the Victoria’s Secret web site,” said Rebecca R., Victoria’s Secret customer relations employee. Schools are watched over a yearly probation period and merchandise can be discontinued at any time. 

Sales of FAMU merchandise at the campus bookstore are still going strong. Sales peaks include homecoming, spring preview and usually in August at the beginning of the fall semester. FAMU merchandise can also be purchased through many licensed vendors online and also through FAMUs most recent online store. In collaboration with Cintas, 17.5 percent of purchases are used to support the university, schools, departments and institutes. 

To browse the FAMU Cintas online store, visit www.e-rattler.com
To voice your opinion to Victoria’s Secret PINK visit http://www.victoriassecret.com/contact/