Dance Tallahassee Offers All Adult Dance Studio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Dance Tallahassee offers drop-in classes with no registration or sign-up required. Classes include: ballet, jazz, contemporary and hot pilates. Inspired by the open studio style in New York City, Dance Tallahassee owner, Ashley Adams, saw a need for this type of studio in Tallahassee.

“I wanted to give students, who didn’t want to join their schools formal dance team, a chance to continue their dance education,” Adams said. Raised in Orlando, Adams attended Florida State University. She went on to work with Disney and spent five years as a Radio City Rockette in New York.

After returning to Tallahassee from New York, Adam’s husband had surprised her with the new studio. Dance Tallahassee opened its doors in February 2010.

“Dance Tallahassee caters to an age group with no dance studio available for them,” said Ann Frost, Dance Tallahassee instructor. Traditional dance studios offer training for students’ ages 3-18, with a few adult classes sprinkled in. Dance Tallahassee is an all adult studio that doesn’t require strict commitment or a recital every year.

“The atmosphere of Dance Tallahassee is convenient and laid back,” said Kelsy Torrellas, 23, a Dance Tallahassee student. Torrellas enjoys the experience and passion that Adams brings to the studio. With hopes of dancing for a NFL or NBA team, Torrellas is a Dance Tallahassee scholarship recipient.

The Dance Tallahassee Professional Program is a scholarship opportunity for Tallahassee dancers. After an audition process, students are chosen to attend dance classes at a discounted rate in preparation for professional dance careers.

Scholarship students assist with classes and daily duties around the studio. As an ensemble, Dance Tallahassee scholarship recipients also travel to competitions, perform at basketball games and participate in parades. The group won first place during the 2012 Tallahassee Winter Parade.

This April, Dance Tallahassee will premiere its first showcase, featuring performances from the professional program students and faculty members. The performance will take place at the Tallahassee Community College Auditorium and tickets will be sold at the door.     

Dance Tallahassee classes can be purchased as a single class for $10, five classes for $45,10 classes for $80 or 30 days of unlimited classes for $120.

For Dance Tallahassee’s full class schedule visit    http://www.dancetallahassee.co…  

To purchase class packages visit http://www.dancetallahassee.co…