Cecil Spear, ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

To start off the new semester, we bring you campus cutie Cecil Spear. This southern gentleman from Griffin, Georgia shares his thoughts on girls, classes, and dating.

Name: Cecil Spear
Major: Criminal Justice
Relationship status: Dating
Hometown: Griffin, GA
Campus involvement: Sophomore senator, Senior escort on the royal court 2011-2012, and an active member of Alpha Kappa Psi.

HC FAMU: What is your dream job?
CS: To be a lawyer working for the federal government dealing with claims against the government. It’s kind of boring, but I think it’d be ideal.

HC FAMU: What is your ideal date?
CS: A three part series. It would probably start with some food, like an Italian restaurant. Wait scratch that, it would be like at a restaurant with a live jazz band. There would be drinks and slow jazz. I think that would be pretty fun.

HC FAMU: What is your favorite class that you’ve taken at FAMU?
CS: My African-American history class was probably one of my better classes. I had Dr. Will Guzman; he’s really radical; so it was pretty fun to learn things from his perspective.

HC FAMU: Name a book on your reading list.
CS: The Mis-education of the Negro by Carter Woodson is the next book I want to read. It’s one of those must-reads, especially if you’re in college. I want to order that as soon as possible.

HC FAMU: What are some of the things you love about girls?
CS: Just that spirit. The way girls just look at things is really interesting to me. Like the way they think about things. It’s usually not the way I see it but I appreciate their perspective. And, the way they smell. The list just goes on and on.

HC FAMU: What is one thing you can’t live without?
CS: My family. I’m not big on technology or anything so I could live without that. I take pride in not having an item that I can’t be without.

HC FAMU: What is good first date etiquette?
CS: I pride myself in being a respectful guy. Many things I would do on a first date is shave, make sure I’m clean and neat. I open doors, pull out the chair, and give compliments. I just try to be myself. I think when people meet each other for the first time they try to put on a little too much.

HC FAMU: If you were stranded on a desert island what three things would you have to have?
CS: ESPN, so a TV with cable. I’d need a Bible. Hmmm…ESPN and a Bible is a pretty good pair! [Laughs]. Oh, and the person of my choice so I’ll have someone to spend my time with.

HC FAMU: Do you believe in soul mates?
CS: I believe in multiple soul mates. I don’t think there’s just one person out there for everybody. There are different routes that each person can take for different times in their life. So, if you miss out on that one person who you thought was the one for you, I definitely think that you have a couple more.

HC FAMU: How would you describe yourself?
CS: A fun person. I’m a nice, southern gentleman and I try to be as genuine as possible.

Itopia is a senior from New Rochelle, New York studying Magazine Production. She is the founder of Florida A&M's campus branch. After graduation, Itopia plans to move back to NY and go to fashion school! In her spare time Itopia enjoys tweeting, browing on Tumblr, eating and listening to music.