A Touch of Tartan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

Tartan trends are everywhere at the moment, in all retail stores worldwide.  Tartan is great because it can be teamed up with most simple colours, and looks very flattering. I’m a huge fan of tartan dresses and leggings at the moment! I think it creates a statement piece for an outfit and makes your look smart and sophisticated.

Bright red tartan is very popular at the moment and it’s a key trend I have seen all around Falmouth University. I am wearing a tartan Peter Pan collar dress that I purchased online. It’s particularly eye-catching and goes so well with a leather jacket and black canvases.

If, however, you don’t feel brave enough to wear a big tartan number, just wearing a small splash of tartan can potentially jazz up an outfit without over doing it; a scarf for example. Another alternative is to go for a darker tartan.

Evie’s dark tartan leggings go really well with her burgundy jumper. She has mixed burgundy colours which go well together and look great for chilly days. She’s rocking that look!

Grace, above, wears a denim shirt with a tartan scarf. These compliment each other perfectly, and the scarf adds more colour to the outfit. She’s teamed the denim shirt with dark jeans and flats for a perfect spring look.

I’ve teamed tartan leggings with a baggy black vintage jumper. This compliments the leggings, and is a comfy outfit that looks eye catching and bright. Add Converses for a laid back, everyday look, or pixie boots for a smart/casual look.

We’ve shown you that no matter what your style, you can incorporate tartan into your spring wardrobe. Whether you choose to wear a lot or a little of it, you will look fab!

To get the tartan look this spring, we recommend taking a look at Topshop or Missguided.

Lizzie Bailey is a Cornish-born student who enjoys working within a team. She has previous experience working on the Fashion Desk at Heat Magazine. She particularly likes breaking the latest local news and working on social media. She is a passion-fuelled writer and an advocate for writing about things she loves and is interested in. She is also a huge fan of Krispy Kreme donuts and will always be found eating something within the newsroom. Follow Lizzie for more content: @lizziebailey_