Top 5 Films to Remind You of Your Childhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

1) Home Alone (1990)

Directed by Chris Columbus (who also directed Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone), this fun family film classic starring Macaulay Culkin is the one that is always on around the Christmas season and never fails to make us laugh every time. This extravaganza involves young Kevin being left at home by his entire family when they go on holiday to Paris for the Christmas holidays and accidentally leave him behind. While they are gone he has to fend for himself from two daft intruders who keep trying to “get him”! Hilarity ensues. Home Alone is also the highest grossing comedy film raking in $476,684,675 at the box office!

2) Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (2001)

Written by JK Rowling and also directed by Chris Columbus, this was the movie (first of the seven book series) that was SO successful is took in $974,755,371 at the box office! Daniel Radcliffe who played the title character became a household name worldwide when it was first released, and so did Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) and Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley). The first in the series is about Harry Potter (Radcliffe) discovering he is a wizard when Hagrid (a friendly giant from Hogwarts played by Robbie Coltrane) makes a visit to Harry’s Aunt and Uncle’s house. Here he is taken to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and becomes friends with Hermione and Ron. Together they uncover some dark secrets about the school and here we are introduced to Harry’s main nemesis Lord Voldemort…. (On a side note, we, as young children were shocked to hear Ron say “bloody hell!” during the film!)

3) Matilda (1996)

Based on the popular children’s book by Roald Dahl, the story focuses on Matilda (played by Mara Wilson) who is a child living with an awful family (parents played by Rhea Perlman and Danny DeVito). We watch as Matilda gradually discovers she has special abilities. Matilda then starts at a new school where she has the nicest ever teacher; Miss Honey (Embeth Davidtz), who is related to the completely scary head teacher, Miss Trunchbull (Pam Ferris). Throughout the film we see Matilda, as well as her classmates, come into contact with the scary principle, which comes to a head when “the Trunch” tries to once again bully Matilda and her classmates….and so Matilda plans her revenge and the WHOLE SCHOOL get their own back with the best weapon – food!

4) Toy Story (1995)

One of Pixar’s finest productions, Toy Story includes the recognisable voices of legendary actors such as Tom Hanks, Tim Allen and Don Rickles. The plot of this movie follows the actions of the toys belonging to normal kid, Andy, and the struggles of being “toy-napped” by the boy next door, Sid, who lets just say isn’t the nicest. Woody, Buzz and the gang have to keep up with Andy when the family move house and they manage to escape Sid’s house and land back in the family’s car! A simple but fun storyline. An obvious child’s favourite.

5) Finding Nemo (2003)

This epic fishy film, also a product of Pixar, is what made the Clown Fish the much in demand pet, resulting in the increase in the price. Featuring famous voices such as Ellen DeGeneres and Willem Dafoe, the story follows a young Clown Fish, Nemo, who lives with his Father after his Mother and his siblings were killed and he was the only one to have survived. An accident occurs when Nemo, who is being cheeky and doing a dare, gets caught in a net by a diver and taken away to Sydney. The underwater adventure sees Nemo’s Father and volunteer Dory searching for Nemo who ends up in a Dental surgeries fish tank and is nearly given up to the dentists Niece, but with the help of his fishy company in the tank, he is flung back into the ocean (in a polythene bag) and reunited with his father! Good times all around!

Hi! I am Swee Lee O'Gorman. Born in London, I love all things to do with film, music and fashion. Also, I'm addicted to books. I have always been fanatical over cultural things such as the above and love to share all my reviews with others out there. Current obsessions: Elvis Presley, 'The Walking Dead' - all zombie related things and reading!