Top 5 Cheesiest Pop Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

Now we all have a few guilty pleasures when it comes to a cheesy tunes; some which never fail to get you onto the dance floor at a wedding!

1) Aqua – “Barbie Girl” (1997)

Danish/Norwegian pop group Aqua released this memorable song about the popular plastic toy back in 1997. A hit with the younger children (….obviously), this song was accompanied by the equally cheesy video of “Barbie” meandering around her garden and losing an arm towards the end, which I am sure we all remember. With its underlying connotations, the words were not so obvious to the younger ones who were singing it – until now. All in all, a top tune that we can’t help but sing along to.

2) Steps – “5,6,7,8” (1997)

“5,6,7,8” was the first song to be released from the pop group Steps in 1997. This tune is often played at holiday parks such as Butlins, Haven & Pontins – typical. In the video the group are doing line dancing, cheesy eh? This tune is also regularly chosen on the arcade dance machines as well funnily enough. However, I am sure you will bring a few bemused looks if you were to be playing this tune loudly in the car while stuck at traffic lights!

3) Kylie Minogue – “I should be so lucky” (1987)

Hailing from Australia and fresh out of Aussie soap opera Neighbours, Kylie Minogue became even more of a household name once “I should be so lucky” was played non-stop in 1987 – and from then on! Everybody knows the lyrics to this Stock Aitken and Waterman production. Ms Minogue is definitely the Queen of Cheese.

4) Black Lace – “Agadoo” (1984)

This novelty hit from 1984 was recorded by Black Lace, who until this day, will always be thought as the sort of song you would have played at a school disco. The song has also been described as “magnificently dreadful”. Live performances of “Agadoo” would get so cheesy that dancing pineapples would be present on stage too.

5) S Club 7 – “Reach” (2000)

Released in 2000, the seven-membered pop group had one of many number one’s with “Reach”. Despite being very cheesy, the song was used as the opening track to their comedy-drama series LA7. It has since lived a long life being regarded in cheesy tunes countdowns.

Hi! I am Swee Lee O'Gorman. Born in London, I love all things to do with film, music and fashion. Also, I'm addicted to books. I have always been fanatical over cultural things such as the above and love to share all my reviews with others out there. Current obsessions: Elvis Presley, 'The Walking Dead' - all zombie related things and reading!