This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

When getting ready for the annual Garden Party, or any other summer party occasion, there are a few key things that are important to remember…

Firstly, the essentials – ticket, wristband, money and ID. Without the latter you won’t be able to get in, nor will you without a valid ticket. The Garden Party sold out in record time (quicker than Glastonbury, just saying…) so hold on to these as if it’s a golden ticket from Willy Wonka himself until you get inside. This also applies to any other summer party you may be attending. No ticket, no fun!

Next, of course, is your attire. It’s a formal event, therefore you should probably make a bit of an effort – whether you’ve had your outfit planned for the past six months or whether you’re wearing that trusty dress you know looks great on you, the key is to feel great! Comfort is key, because there is nothing worse than wearing a beautiful dress that you can’t walk in properly all in the name of fashion – you will waddle like a penguin and probably feel a little bit stupid. Also – warmth. It may be a sunny day, but when the sun goes down you are going to be cold!

Pampering. Remember to exfoliate, moisture, paint nails, toes, face. This is really a great excuse to take the day off from life and have a little ‘you’ time. As long as the rest of your friends are taking as long as you are to get ready, then it is completely acceptable.  

Shoes are a bit of an issue when it comes to the garden party, because of grass. I don’t know whether you’ve ever been to a wedding before where you are made to take those typical lawn photos, but certain heels SINK. Muddy heels aren’t a good look, so if you’ve gone for a stiletto just be prepared to strategically walk on tiptoes over all green areas/be in a lot of pain the next day.

Checking the weather forecast should also be essential – there’s no point in spending hours dolling yourself up to only be caught out in a massive rain shower. All that effort into straightening or curling your hair would go to complete waste. The temperature may also be an issue, although you can of course tactically borrow a gentleman’s jacket to keep you warm!

Have fun! You did not take 6 hours to get ready, to simply stand there looking pretty! Get boogying and take advantage of the free canapés. If you know someone working the event then make sure they know how hungry you are! 

22 year old English with Creative writing student from Cornwall