Meet the Candidates: Tom Kilroy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

You may recognize this next candidate as Tom Kilroy, a third year Theatre student hoping to become Falmouth’s knight in shining armour.  HC Falmouth managed to reign him in for a chat about his campaign as well as the highs and plain-pasta-related lows of his student experience.

1.      What was it about Falmouth that made you want to come to university here?

From 2010-2013 I was working with English Heritage Jousting at Pendennis Castle in Falmouth. It was during this time I fell in love with the Fal-vibe and natural beauty of the area. Falmouth has rapidly become the number one arts university in the country and the facilities are amazing, so when it came to choosing a university there was no other candidate.

2.      And what made you decide to run for the role of Falmouth president?

If I’m frank, it was a conversation with Alexa Webster (current Community and Welfare President) over a cup of tea. We were talking about what I think could be done better and that students need more support in general. We pay £9,000 a year in tuition and, quite simply, should get our monies worth.

3.      How has your own student experience influence your campaign and policies?

• I would have loved more interaction with Woodlane students for cross-collaboration.
  • Also, better support in those weeks where I found myself eating plain pasta because I had no money. I would also have loved to seen more support for student led events.
  • Over-all my experience has been fantastic and I’ve made a lot of friends but there is a massive amount of things that could be done better. I hope that answers your question.

4.      We like your campaign posters – would you be a chivalrous leader and can we expect some Braveheart-style speeches from you?

• To be chivalrous you must have courage, courtesy and loyalty. I believe that I possess these qualities.
  • My word is bond, if I say I’m going to do something then I will.
  • I will fight for every single student, if this means going toe to toe with the head of the university, or taking an issue to parliament and storming the gates, then I will.
  • No is simply not an option, if something is important to even just one student, I will use every single resource at my disposal to make that happen.
  • As for Braveheart-style speeches, I’m afraid I don’t own a kilt. However, I can do a Scottish accent.

5.      What would you most hope to achieve from this role?

• Well, the big thing I’m working on at the moment is getting student work out professionally, both nationally and internationally. I have five venues across the country that want to link with Falmouth and we can use these as platforms to start that process of getting work out.
  • As soon as I’m voted in (hopefully anyway) I will be sitting down with the University to discuss a funding pot of £10,000 that would be accessible by every single student.
  • I’m already in talks with Sainsburys and Asda about setting up a university controlled food bank. What this would mean is that no student at Falmouth would ever have to choose between their course and eating.

–          (Sounds good to us, Tom!)

Finally, I want every student to enjoy their time here and be the best they can be. When I achieve that and all my other campaign goals that will be a win for me.

6.      Lastly, to help the voters get a better idea of you as a person, what three words would you use to describe yourself?

Wow that’s a really hard question, I work hard and play even harder so in a nutshell I would say;

Hard-working, Tenacious and Silly

Thank you for taking the time to speak to us, Tom, and good luck fighting the good fight!

To access Tom’s campaign page and full manifeso on his dedicated Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/176625739379500/

Follow FXU on Twitter for updates on student campaigns and follow the link below to cast your vote – it’s incredibly important, so make your voice heard!

http://www.fxu.org.uk/studentvoice/elections/

Finally, check out this short video on The Falmouth Anchors page that introduces all of the candidates running for the Falmouth President role: https://www.facebook.com/thefalmouthanchor/videos/227379090939822/

Just a 22 year old English Literature and Creative Writing student procrastianting life away by the seaside.Talents involve slightly resembling a fox and telling (terrible) puns.
My name is Laura Sherlock and I am the co-editor for Falmouth's chapter of Hercampus. I am currently in my third year of university studying English.