Meet The Candidate: Anthony Kenny

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

The FXU elections are drawing to a close – but there’s still time to vote if you haven’t already, never fear! HC Falmouth caught up with Falmouth President candidate and third year Fine Art student, Anthony Kenny to find out how the campaign has been going so far.

1.      What have you and the other candidates been up to this week and how have you found the campaigning so far?

The campaign process has been really good fun. It is a fantastic opportunity to talk to students across both campuses about the issues that are affecting them. I have been visiting lots of lectures and seminars. The tutors have been very supportive. The best part has been visiting students in their work space and talking about how we can implement positive change.   

2.      So what was it about Falmouth that made you want to come to university here?

Partly the history of the Falmouth School of Art, but mostly it was the small community atmosphere. I found the way in which Falmouth University run so many creative courses to be really inspiring

3.      And what drew you to the specific role of Falmouth president?

The Falmouth President’s role is all about supporting student’s education and access to careers information. University is all about learning and developing as individuals. I have really enjoyed supporting students as a Student Mentor and as a Student Rep- so I want to continue that work.

4.      How has your own student experience here at Falmouth influenced your policies?

• I have always believed in the idea that education should be a two-way process. Students should guide their own development and whilst at Falmouth University I realized we can do more to facilitate that.
  • Working as a Student Mentor and now a Rep made me realise that communication is key to learning; we need more dialogue between students, subjects and departments      

5.      Could you briefly tell us a bit about some of your main policies?

• I want to improve Falmouth University’s internal organizational structure to facilitate learning and access to resources more effectively.
  • I want Falmouth University to one integrated IT systems. So that everyone can use the same timetabling software, making it easier to organise course time tables and book study space. I also want to adapt the Library Catalogue system for use in equipment stores.
  • I want to work with Technicians and Tutors to run more cross course learning opportunities and support skills development.
  • I want to run more collaborative projects at a course level and do more outreach projects with the local community. 

6.      And finally, a difficult question I know, but to help the voters get a better idea of you as a person, what three words would you use to describe yourself?

Fair, Resourceful and Helpful

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us. Anthony! We wish you and the other candidates luck tomorrow when the results are announced. Regardless of the outcome, HC Falmouth thinks you’re all awesome. 

Just a 22 year old English Literature and Creative Writing student procrastianting life away by the seaside.Talents involve slightly resembling a fox and telling (terrible) puns.
My name is Laura Sherlock and I am the co-editor for Falmouth's chapter of Hercampus. I am currently in my third year of university studying English.