How to kick start your summer!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

How to make the most of your summer:

Summer is drawing ever closer with so much promise and anticipation. The new found freedom after being finally released from the all-encompassing deadlines is a bit overwhelming at first. The urge to simply spend the rest of your life lying in bed staring at the ceiling and never thinking about Jane Erye again is strong, but believe me there is much more that can be done. The initial need for damage control is only temporary, I encourage you to really enjoy doing whatever you want and celebrate being free… but after that it’s time to start planning your summer. Netflix is not the only way to occupy your time.

It can be difficult when you no longer have any commitments keeping you busy to maintain a productive lifestyle. I’ve found many summers have been spent in an endless cycle of sleeping, eating and, not really doing anything else. So how can you make your time off worth it?

Travelling is one of the best things to do over the summer months. And if you have the money to go globetrotting, take that opportunity. But travelling far away on a student budget is not easy, so there are other smaller adventures you can embark on. If you’re staying in Cornwall for the summer it would be madness to not make the most of it and its beautiful destinations. One thing I would recommend is a camping trip. Find a weekend with a descent looking weather report, grab a tent and a handful of friends and off you go. Cornwall is packed full of camping sites and the most stunning beaches, so go on a ramble and get in touch with your wild side.

The summer is also the best time to finally get round to those projects you’ve been waiting to start. Always wanted to write a story, or a screen play? Start a YouTube channel, paint, learn the guitar, or a new sport. Summer is the perfect time to fuel those hobbies. For the first time you can actually look at the giant pile of books you’ve been collecting since September! Use your time well. Create a schedule or a target to stick to, nothing hard just a guideline. ‘This summer I am going to write 1000 words a week’ or ‘This summer I am going to swim every day’. Small steps towards a big goal.

Try to organise you time, whether it be work or play. Summers are to be remembered, a time to grow and have great experiences with great people. Go to every open mic night, go to the beach on a clear evening and stargaze or wake up to watch the sunrise. Be lazy but feel good about it. Try new recipes or try a new style. Whatever you want to do, do it now you have the time. Earn money but don’t feel bad about spending it on things you want to do. Make this the best summer ever, it’s up to you!