This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

It’s that time of year again – National November Writing Month. Studies are getting more intense, deadlines are drawing near and yet, there is still the compelling need to crank out a 50,000 word novel in just 30 days. You’ll make time, you tell yourself. You’ll get up early before class, you’ll write in your breaks, you’ll travel out to coffee shops and parks and find that magical inspiration. Unfortunately, life has a way of kicking us down at our most creative moments, so to combat these things we need to get a little organised! Here are some tips to get prepared to write.

• Make a schedule. It’s inevitable that when you’re studying at university you’ll feel the pressure of your degree, society activities and independent living on top of wanting to churn out a novel in a month, so it’s important to get organised. Create a schedule, either on paper or online, that documents all of your classes, society events and personal activities. Try and find time to write each day, whether it is at the same time consistently or whenever you have a free hour or two. It’s okay to go over the time limits you’ve set yourself if you’re in a writing mood, but setting aside time and following that schedule as religiously as possible will produce surprising results, because your body and mind will automatically prepare to write once you get into a habit of it.

• Buy a new notebook. Whether you prefer writing by hand or typing on a computer, there is always a moment where you get an amazing idea for your writing project, and… damn. Nothing to write it down on. Simply telling yourself you’ll remember it is a lie and we all know it, so purchasing a small notebook, A5 or smaller, is ideal to carry around with you everywhere. You never know where inspiration might strike – on the bus, during class or even in the shower – so having somewhere to quickly jot it down is essential. Plus, you might have an idea for a whole scene or conversation in your head, so what better place to pen it than right there and then while it is still fresh in your mind? You can get notebooks for as cheap as £1 from places like Poundland and Wilkos, so don’t deny yourself fantastic plot points because of forgetfulness.

• Fill your iPod, MP3 player or Smartphone with some tunes. Everyone gets inspired in different ways, but for a lot of people, getting together the right music is essential. So get up your Spotify or iTunes and create a new playlist. Think about the genre of your novel, and think of music that applies best to this genre. Gather up your tunes and keep them on the go so you can write during your scheduled slots and any other time that inspiration may strike!

• Create a writing circle. Talk to friends – your flatmates, friends from your course, from other societies – and see if any of them want to participate in NaNoWriMo. Even if they don’t, but are doing a similar challenge or working to expand on their portfolios or completing assignments, this is a perfect opportunity to create a writing circle. Find time to meet up in the library, cafeteria or your favourite hangout spot on campus. You’ll feel more motivated if you’re in the company of others, and maybe by showing your dedication to your writing project you could inspire others in your group to take up the challenge.

• Get your priorities in order. Make sure you’re meeting deadlines, spending time with your friend and keeping your living area clean. The process of creating a novel can be very consuming, and you might get so into the creative zone that you find yourself unable to concentrate on anything else. While it’s great that you’re so dedicated to bringing your novel to completion, it’s important to take a step back sometimes and make sure that you’re still putting 100% into your assignments, giving your friends some attention and sending your parents the occasional Facebook message to let them know you’re still alive.

• Take a day trip. Sometimes it’s good to get out of your usual writing spot and find somewhere new, especially if you’re stuck on a particular scene or plot point. Pack yourself a lunch or look up some local cafés, hop on a bus or a train and explore the world around you. Find a new place to write, and if you’re stuck for ideas, people-watching can always be useful to inspire character interactions.

• Use online prompts, character profile generators and plot creators. These can be a brilliant set of tools when you can’t leave the house and you’re stuck for inspiration. There is a large array of different websites online that can give out excellent prompts and generators, and a lot of these are tailored to different genres if you need help with something a little more specific. Tools like environment generators can be useful for fantasy novels, especially if it is set in an entirely new world and you need to figure out a terrain. Alternatively, if you’re looking for a place to start your novel, or even conceptualise it, prompt lists and character archetype generators can be extremely useful to build up some foundations for your novel.

• Read through passages from your favourite novels, plays, comic books or graphic novels. They say that no one idea is original anymore, so there’s absolutely no shame in digging through your favourite collections of books, plays or films to get the creative juices flowing. Get together all of your favourites and flick through them. What do you like about the plots? What do you like about your favourite characters? What do you like about the genre? Make lists and try to apply these features to your writing – you’ll be amazed what a difference it can make in your novel!

• Look at NaNoWriMo’s official web content to get inspired. Each year NaNoWriMo puts out a fantastic array of articles to keep the creative juices flowing, including interviews with popular authors, word sprints organised by the NaNoWriMo committee and real life regional events where people can meet up and write together to encourage each other to keep going. These can be really helpful when you feel like giving up, and can give you the extra push you need.

• Take care of yourself. A novel isn’t born in a day, and a lot of the time it isn’t born in 30 days. Remember to have fun with it, and don’t feel pressured to write more by how other people are doing – everyone is different! Go at your own pace, and don’t forget why you’re doing this: to bring an idea you love to life. Now go forth and create!

Hi, I'm Hannah, a first year Animation & Visual Effects student at Falmouth University! I'm here to get my voice heard and create relatable articles using my life experiences as a woman.