This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

Like many, one of the first things that drew me to Falmouth was its vibrant, live music scene and its renowned flare for the arts. Team these bohemian images with poetic seaside scenery and I think it’s safe to say that even the most stubborn city dweller would consider relocating. As a fresher last year, I had a keen interest to quickly become a part of the music scene and to meet new and like-minded people. I began doing some research into local events and stumbled upon something quite unique.

SoulTap Productions is an events company based in the heart of Falmouth run by Anna-May Follas-Shell; a Creative Events Management student from Falmouth University.  The first SoulTap event I was introduced to was Carpet Time, a locally held non-profit event that promotes new and undiscovered local talent. Anna-May’s ethos for the evenings was to ‘keep Cornwall cosy’ and inject some collective spirit into the music scene by organizing an event based on everyone pitching in. With little funds available, Anna-May was able to entice artists and photographers to play for promotion alone, making the gig a free event for all and purely drawing everyone’s attention to the music and overall experience.

Held in the various living rooms of willing participants, the location of the gig remains secret until attendees receive the address several days prior to the event. Three artists perform an acoustic set over the space of the evening, leaving time in between sets to chat with the artists and people around you. Carpet Time offers a homely and personal experience, which I fear many gig organizers have failed to create, or forgotten over time. The intimacy of the living room setting puts both gig goers and artists in such a close proximity that it’s easy to forget that you’re at a gig at all.  Both artists and crowd members step out of their usual roles as spectators and performers and merge into one group, making each individual part of the experience as a whole.

Picture the scene; a warm and friendly host greets you at the door to take your coat. You’re led into a dimly lit living room with an open fire. The floor is scattered with cushions and a stream of fairy lights frame the window where there’s a single chair for the performers. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own drinks. As the last of the guests arrive we are then able to sit and enjoy a beautiful evening of fresh local talent from the likes of Patrick Gardener, an Irish singer songwriter whose raw tones and animated performances are comparable to Paulo Nutini, and Sean Joseph- a music student from Falmouth university who’s honey like vocals and vulnerable performance leaves you in awe.

Overall I came away from the evening feeling humbled and replenished by the modesty of the performers and inclusivity of the event. I would highly recommend it to any live music fans and those looking for something refreshingly different to the standard gig experience.

Aside from Carpet Time, SoulTap Productions has inhabited Good Vibes café in the center of Falmouth, whipping up a cultural fusion of freshly ground coffee, local art and soothing sultry tones from Irish folk band Malojian. With similar sentiments to the Carpet Time experience, SoulTap has certainly mastered the craft of making a gig feel as though someone has taken the essence of a festival and mixed it with the perfect dinner party.

‘The highlight of your evening should be chatting.’ confirmed Anna-May,

Sometimes you go to a gig and its rude to talk, or when you have a big night out in a club but really everyone enjoyed the pre-drinks most. I wanted to offer another option.

Anna-May has been in cohorts with a yet to be confirmed Cornish Hip-hop record label.

‘Falmouth needs some exposure to Hip-hop, so that’s certainly in the pipeline.’ Anna explained. ‘We’re currently trying to secure another alternative venue.

Aside from this Anna’s passion for cooking has provoked another string to SoulTap’s bow- the prospect of Musical dinner parties are on the periphery in the upcoming year.

Cooking is my main passion. The cost of the evening would purely cover the cost of the food, 12-15 people would sit around the dinner table, including the performers. There will be a 3-course meal and in between courses the performers would play a short acoustic set. Once they’ve played the other guests can ask questions or let the conversation flow freely in what ever direction takes their fancy.

Anna-May certainly seems to enjoy creating comfortable situations, which is reflected within SoulTap events. With the emphasis on people feeling at ease, SoulTap Productions has carefully crafted a sense of intimacy and unity into gig situations, and accidentally or not, has created the perfect date scenario.

My name is Holly. I'm 25 and i'm a second year English student at Falmouth University. Writer of short fiction and inquisitive social commentator.
My name is Laura Sherlock and I am the co-editor for Falmouth's chapter of Hercampus. I am currently in my third year of university studying English.