FXU 2017 Elections: Bella Frimpong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

So I had the opportunity to sit down and have an interview with Bella Frimpong where we talked about her campaign (since she’s running for President of Community and Welfare), what she wants voters to know when casting their votes, and what her favourite colour is.

Zodiac sign: Virgo.

Age: 21

Relationship status: Taken.

Favourite colour: Emerald green.

Pronouns: She/her.

HC: What course are you on and what year are you in?

BF: I’m on the Politics course and I’m a third year.

HC: Where are you originally from and how is it different from Falmouth?

BF: I was born and raised in Italy and I’ve also lived in Ghana because my parents are from there. [Italy and Ghana] are both different from each other and different from Falmouth. There are different languages, cultures, people, and food.

HC: So, you’re running for President of Community and Welfare. What made you want to do this?

BF: I wanted to do this mostly because I’ve seen that I have the capability for change and that’s what I’ve been doing since at uni— changing things that I’m not happy with. I feel like everything I’ve been able to achieve at uni is because people believed in me. I want to empower students in the same way I’ve been empowered. 

HC: What are some of the problems that students have voiced to you? What changes are you going to make to try to solve these problems?

BF: One of the most pressing issues that has been brought to my attention is the support on campus. It’s not visible and accessible enough even though there might be support for students, if you cant see it or access it then its a problem. If you want help you should be able to get help immediately. Everybody is also concerned about accomodation. While I may not be able to get the uni to build new houses in a week, what I can do is make it less stressful for students. I want to create an accomodation platform people where people can make profiles where people would be able to look through them to buddy-up. I want to make finding a housemate easier. I want make things more trouble-free. I think it’s best to let freshers know info from the get-go about accommodation.

HC: What do you think is most important when it comes to improving the lives of students?

BF: Well being is the most important and anything which affects the student’s well-being including friendsphips, academia or the student experience in general is important.

HC: How have you been involved in the uni in the past and how are you involved currently?

BF: So last year I was the African Caribbean Society President and while I was there I got us a gold standard from bronze; we also won society of the year last year. This year, I’m on the Liberation Committee and my role is to make sure that marginalised voices are heard and aren’t, well, marginalised. I’m there to make sure that no one’s voice is overlooked regardless if they’re a part of the majority or the minority.

HC: If you could be any animal, which would you be and why?

BF: I would be two; I’d a be a bunny becaus they’re fluffy and cute and grey. I’d also a be a pather because they’re sleek, agile, and black big cats.

HC: Now that you’re six months into your third year of uni, what’s some advice that you have for freshers?

BF: It’s more than just academics. Yes, education is important but get involved in other things besides that. Make friends outside of your normal friendship groups and don’t just stick to one group of friends. Also, get involved in things that you normally wouldn’t. 

HC: What’s something that you want people to look for in a candidate when it comes to deciding who to cast their vote for?

BF: Someone that represents their best interests and someone with the capabilities of actually doing so.

HC: What’s something that you’re looking forward to?

BF: I’m looking forward to graduating and making my parents proud. 

Thank you so much Bella for taking the time to let me interview you! Voting ends tomorrow the 24th of February mid-day so make sure to casts your votes before then! 

Hi there! My name is Genesis and I'm the CC for Her Campus Falmouth! I also currently study English with Creative Writing at Falmouth Universty! I'm originally from New York City but I'm abroad for university. Some of the things I love include the colour pink, furry and fat animals, watching films, going for walks, taking pictures of animals, reading sci-fi, and writing!