Five reasons to stay in Falmouth this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

1. The beach. It goes without saying that this is an obvious reason as to why you should halt leaving the beautiful county during the holidays – what can possibly beat the sand, sea and a little bit of surf? Cornwall may not be the sunniest place but when the sun does decide to shine, it is unbeatable.
  2. Boardmasters festival. This year, the likes of Faithless, Rudimental and Bastille are headlining the famous surf and skate festival – and, as the festival is held at Watergate bay, you can literally watch the sun set over the beach whilst listening to great music. You don’t have to camp, either, if it isn’t your thing – day tickets are available!
  3. Tune on the Dunes! This year will be the first ‘tune in the dunes’ at Perranporth Beach. Scouting for Girls and Tom Odell, amonst many others will be performing. If you’ve never been to Perranporth beach before, it is host to the UK’s only ‘on the beach’ pub called the watering hole. Even if you’re not interested in the music, the pub itself is worth a look!
  4. The local ‘days’. Speaking as someone who has lived in Cornwall for the majority of her life, towns having their own ‘days’ are pretty normal. However, apparently, they aren’t to those who aren’t local. So, if you want an… interesting day out, there’s Murdoch day in Redruth, Trevithick day in Camborne, Flora day in Helston… all within a bus journey away from the wonderful Falmouth. Explore the town, eat a pasty, and observe the craziness that tends to unfold.*
  5. Your parents will probably drive you crazy at home after a couple of weeks. When you’re used to living by yourself and the freedom of eating when you want, going out without having to tell anyone etc., the prospects of being ‘mothered’ (although at first quite pleasant and welcomed) are quite annoying and daunting. Go home and visit the fam, eat all their food and get your clothes washed, then head back down to Falmouth for a bit of freedom.

* Warning, sometimes, these particular days are VERY WEIRD if you’re not used to that kind of thing. Welcome to Cornwall, folks…

22 year old English with Creative writing student from Cornwall