Campus Cutie: Hayley Turner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

Name: Hayley Turner

Course: BA (Hons) Acting

Year: 3rd

Relationship Status: Taken

This week I had the pleasure of talking to third year acting student, all round massive cutie and funny gal, Hayley Turner! As the secretary of musical theatre group Follies and playing the part of Frenchy in their upcoming show Grease, Hayley has lots of exciting things lined up for the last part of her time at Falmouth.

What is your favourite memory so far?

Gosh, that is really tricky. There are so many things I’m not sure I could pick a favourite memory. Most of my best memories involve the girls I live with, who are all wonderful and I love them so much. I’d have to say one of the best memories we’ve had together was in first year when we dressed up as the Spice Girls for a Stannary event. We went all out, to the point where I insisted people called me Baby Spice and we had a little dance routine we kept doing. It was that point that I realised that I’d found a pretty great friendship group. We still refer to our house as the Spicy House now in third year.

Why did you choose Falmouth university?

I had originally wanted to go to Drama schools, so in my last year of doing A levels I applied to all of the classic choices: RADA, LAMDA, Central etc. and was unsuccessful. I then had a gap year, worked at the Works (Britains leading discount bookstore, I’ll have you know) and reapplied. Half way through the process by Mum suggested that I look at some universities as well because I was on a few waiting lists but didn’t have anything solid. I applied to Falmouth on a bit of a whim, without double checking where it was, so was surprised to learn I was going to have a 7 hour train journey for the audition. But the minute I got onto the campus I was completely sold. I sort of floated through the audition day just in awe of my surroundings. The AMATA building was so high-tech compared to some of the strange spaces I had visited at drama schools. But it was mainly the fact the campus is surrounded by nature. Up until then most of the places I looked at were in central London, and I would have been lucky to see a weed between the paving slabs, let alone flowers!

Favourite food to eat or cook?

This is an extremely difficult question, because I just love food. I have to keep reminding myself that I’m a student and can’t buy smoked salmon every week!! I’m currently trying to eat a lot more healthily, and slowly cutting meat out, however bacon is proving a difficult little blighter to give up. I’m an enormous lover of the breakfast/brunch food that can be eaten at any meal and be appropriate. I’d have to say a really good omelette is definitely up there for my favourite thing to eat. I normally do a mushroom, onion, tomato, cheese and spinach omelette, which is pretty great if I do say so myself.

Where is your favourite spot in Falmouth?

There’s a grassy bank around the corner from my house in Falmouth that looks down on the town and you can see Pendennis Castle and over across the water to Flushing. At the end of the second year, me and my friends sat at the top of this little bank and watched the sun come up whilst we listened to some music and talked. It was just a beautiful moment to finish my second year on – surrounded by the people that I love and the incredible scenery of Cornwall. I go there on my own sometimes, partially to just sit and watch the world go by, but also as a small break between walking back up the hill from town to my house.

Where do you see yourself in ten years time?

Wow, in 10 years time I’m going to be 32, so that’s pretty scary!! I’d like to say by then I’ve performed some Shakespeare on either the Globe or the Royal Shakespeare Theatre’s stage, that’s the ultimate dream. I guess I will probably be living in London, hopefully in my own house, and not on my friend’s sofa as a poor starving actor. I’m not the type of person that’s hoping for the type of success in acting that relies on being big and famous. That doesn’t particularly interest me. I just want to be in a position where I can be doing acting work that interests and excites me, not what will make me a star.

What is your favourite book and film?

Ah confession time. I’m a massive Harry Potter nerd. There, I’ve said it. I’ve read all of the books about 7 times and never get bored of watching the films. I read the first book when I was 8 years old. I would read one page, then my Mum would read the next. I was absolutely enthralled by this magical universe. I used to dress up as Ginny or Hermione or Luna for world book day. Now that I’m older, of course there’s a sense of nostalgia with reading the books and watching the films, but I can look at them with more maturity and realise just how much detail J.K. Rowling put into the stories. They’re complex and political. I’m constantly learning new snippets of information that are mind blowing.

What is your favourite band and song at the moment?

Laurence Fox, as in the actor that plays James Hathaway in the murder mystery program Lewis, released his new album recently and I have been listening to it non-stop. I’ve been a fan of his for years now and have eagerly waited for him to finally finish his album. It’s really difficult to pick a favourite one of his songs, but I’d have to say it’s probably Mostly Water. It’s one of the songs that was on his original EP from a few years ago and it’s about his son, it’s absolutely beautiful. I was lucky enough last year to see him perform in Gylly Beach Café for free, and I’m not ashamed to say I did completely embarrass myself by fan girling and going all coy when talking to him. But when he sang that song in his set, it was incredible, so soft and moving.

Best event you’ve been to in Falmouth?

I wish I could say that I’ve been to one of the ‘Big Tings A Gwan’ events at Watermans down in town, because the name is just fantastic, but unfortunately I haven’t. I went to a really cool event the other week at Blackdogs, called ‘Freak Boutique’, that featured the talents of Lavrak Circus. There was performers doing aerial hoop, juggling, hula-hooping, poy and other cool circus acts, as well as some glitter girls. It was a really different sort of event that was really fun.

Favourite time of day?

My favourite time of day is definitely the sun set, particularly in summer. I love being sat outside with my friends or family, catching up and having a drink watching the sky change through magical different colours. I’ve always been lucky enough to live in beautiful rural areas and been able to see the sun set over fields, or across the water.

When you aren’t doing work, what are you doing?

I’m the secretary for the Follie’s Musical Theatre Society, and at the moment we’re deep in our rehearsals for Grease, which will be performed in May. I’m really excited to be playing Frenchy, it’s been loads of fun doing the acting scenes and speaking in a cutesie Italian American accent. Although I have to keep reminding myself to not do it outside of the rehearsal space, because otherwise everyone will get sick of it! But it’s just so much fun. We’ve got some really cool dance numbers in there, which I love as I don’t get to do much dancing anymore, unless it’s in club I and there’s not really enough room in there to bust out some of my high kicks and spins. And the songs are sounding amazing, we’re got a really strong main cast and ensemble. There’s nearly 40 of us all together and it’s like we’re a family. It’s shaping up to be an incredible show.

Good luck with your upcoming shows Hayley, save us a seat on the front row! To join the Facebook page and check out how to get tickets, click here! https://www.facebook.com/events/1052751341447982/

My name is Laura Sherlock and I am the co-editor for Falmouth's chapter of Hercampus. I am currently in my third year of university studying English.