Campus Cutie: Genevieve Johnson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

Name: Genevieve Johnson

Age: 21

Course: Illustration

Relationship status: Taken

Meet our campus cutie, Gen Johnson, a third year Illustration student.

With graduation looming closer – eek! – we had a chat with her about how she feels about her three years in Falmouth and how she’s gone about creating a following for her original artwork!

Cute keyring! Tell us more about your Jellybean J range?

Thanks! I make the keyrings by hand using felting wool and needles. They take roughly about half an hour each to make depending what the design is. I love to take on commissions as well. (If you have a request email jellybeanj@btinternet.com) I base a lot of my work around animals because I’m a huge animal lover! My signature is animal puns and I have a range of postcards and cushions with these on – my favourite one right now is my ‘I love you like no otter’ design!

A lot of your illustrations are aimed at young audiences, do you have a favourite picture book that has influenced your work?

Oooh, that’s a difficult one because there’s so many! It’s got to be Guess How Much I Love You, illustrated by Anita Jeram. It was my favourite book as a child and made me really want to become a Children’s Illustrator.

You’re nearing the end of your third year now, do you have a stand-out memory of your time here?

Ooh. It’s got to be in first year, the Stannary Event ‘Sexy Beasts’. I ended up doing everyone’s face paint at Pre Drinks which was great fun but ended up leaving myself until last. That wasn’t my best idea. It stands out because it’s the night I properly bonded with my flatmates. And I met St John, the ambulance man. I think.

What is your favourite meal to cook on a student-budget?

It would probably be – oh god, what do I eat? I eat a lot of couscous and now I can even pronounce it properly.

What’s your favourite Falmouth coffee-shop?

I do love Cavendish but I also like Gylly Beach Café because their hot chocolates are the best.

If you could describe your Falmouth experience in three words, what would they be?

And Now What?

It’s been great talking to you, Gen. Good luck with your final term!

Check out Gen’s illustration pages: https://www.facebook.com/GenevieveJohnsonIllustration/?fref=ts

http://jellybeanj.bigcartel.com/

Just a 22 year old English Literature and Creative Writing student procrastianting life away by the seaside.Talents involve slightly resembling a fox and telling (terrible) puns.
My name is Laura Sherlock and I am the co-editor for Falmouth's chapter of Hercampus. I am currently in my third year of university studying English.