Campus Celebrity: Jasmine Griffiths

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

With the Follies performance of Grease underway, HC Falmouth sat down with Jasmine Griffiths, a third year Performance Theatre student, who is playing the role of Cha Cha in addition to choreographing. We found out how it’s all going and what motivates her.

1. How were the rehearsals for Grease?

We started rehearsing at the end of January! We’ve been doing 12 hour rehearsals all week but it’s all coming together. It’s really starting to take shape.

As a society we are quite vocal driven, we have lots of talented musicians and vocalists and dancing is something new that people rise to the talent with.  We have a mixture of students on various courses and years of study, including History, Zoology, English, Music…and many more!

2. What is the most challenging aspect of a big production such as this?

I think it’s a toss-up between requirements for the set and the amount of people in the big dance numbers. In big numbers like ‘We Go Together’ and my dance scene, ‘Born to Hand Jive,’ there’s a lot of people on stage at one time and we still have to portray a story.

3. We know you’re playing Cha Cha but which character from Grease do you most relate to?

I guess I’m most like Frenchie in terms of not working out where she fits in.

4. Are you a fan of musicals in general? What’s your favourite?

I am a musical fanatic. I guess my favourite is Cats but it is close. I’ve seen Dr Doolittle, Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast, Billy Elliot and Oliver. I would really love to see Aladdin, which is opening this month.

5. What made you decide on Falmouth as your university?

The reason I chose Falmouth is that I knew even on a Theatre course they would be happy for me to use dance within my work. I’ve been dancing since a very young age but started choreographing in year 9 which I really enjoyed. Falmouth is very open to all types and sorts of theatre. I love this because it doesn’t restrict me.

6. Could you tell us a bit about your other project you have going on, Sonder?

One of my final modules is a performance. Essentially, the third year Theatre and Music Theatre students get into groups and devise a performance from scratch. It can be whatever you want!

I’m working with Jennifer Rhodes, also third year Theatre student. We created a company called Sonder, and are performing on the 25th May in the Performance Theatre. It’s a hybrid performance; we use voice, text and movement. Most of all, its apiece that looks at the behavioural characteristics of humans.

7. What’s the plan after university?

I live in North Somerset and plan on going home for the summer. I want to use that time to decide where I want to go. I am contemplating coming back here, but Bristol or London are potential options too!

Thank you for talking to us Jas, we can’t wait to see the show!

Just a 22 year old English Literature and Creative Writing student procrastianting life away by the seaside.Talents involve slightly resembling a fox and telling (terrible) puns.
My name is Laura Sherlock and I am the co-editor for Falmouth's chapter of Hercampus. I am currently in my third year of university studying English.