Campus Celebrity: Jasmine Corbett

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

Name: Jasmine Corbett

Course: 3rd Year ,Marine Natural History Photography

How did you get involved?

I decided to organise collection points around campus in order for students to be able to directly donate much needed food and clothing to the refugees currently at Calais. The University were very supportive in letting me advertise around campus and encouraging students to get involved. It is very hard to know how to help when those in need are so far away, so this was a great way for students to contribute.

Is this something your passionate about?

It is something I am very passionate about. I think that individuals coming together to provide aid and support is crucial in a time when European governments are turning a blind eye to the crisis. The refugees currently at Calais are in desperate need of food and shelter, but it is really inspiring to see how much the donations from people around the country are helping.

You were next to HerCampus with a stall last month did you manage to raise a lot of money with your cakes?

Yes, I raised enough to pay for 3 tonnes of essential firewood which is being bought in Calais (with the trees being replanted afterwards). There are so many ways that even small donations to charities can help by paying for sleeping bags, tents and food.

Did you manage to collect a lot of stuff with your boxes?

I was amazed at how much was donated – there was probably around 2 car loads full. I asked for things such as walking boots, tents, food and toiletries and got a really great response.

Are you still collecting?

I am not currently still collecting as the first load is on its way to Calais at the moment, but as soon as I get a response for what else they need there I will try to set up more donation points.

What do you do in your spare time?

I usually spend my time by the sea, surfing and diving.

Do you plan to do any more fund raising soon?

I hope so – as this first event went so well, I would really like to continue fundraising and raising awareness of the issue.

Good luck to Jasmine with all her future endeavours. 

My name is Paris Anne Richardson and I am attending Falmouth University studying English with Creative Writing. I am an avid reader and subscriber to both Atlas and Vogue. My ideal day is hanging out with my girlfriends shopping and hopping from one coffee shop to another, and I am massive sucker for people watching. Hope you enjoy reading all the posts.