Campus Celebrity: Isobel M. Rimmer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

The newest Hunger Games movie has just had its red carpet premiere and is about to debut in Falmouth Cinema’s next week. Many people attend first showings of movies dressed as their favourite characters, I for example, though I may try and deny it now, definitely got into character for the midnight showing of the last Harry Potter movie. So how would you go about embodying your inner Katniss Everdeen? Well aside from her trademark braid, it turns out luxury Sportswear designer Lucas Hugh provides much of the costume. And wouldn’t you know it, Falmouth’s 3rd year ‘Performance Sportswear Design’ student Isobel M. Rimmer, recently completed her internship with the company! So we have managed to ask her about her time interning and more…

So, how did you get the internship?

I applied directly to the company after admiring their garments in magazines and fitness instagram posts and of course seeing the Hunger Games. Much to my surprise the creative director and owner of Lucas Hugh Anhje, then came to Falmouth to watch the third year fashion show!

I designed a hypothetical cycling collection for Lucas Hugh as part of my second year outdoor project and pitched this concept to Anjhe in May following the fashion show! I was so nervous but she instantly put me to ease with her calm aura and the next day I was lucky enough to be offered the internship!

Can you tell us about your time there?

I took part in updating social media, PR requests, assisted with mood boards, model fittings, stock, website orders and handled quality control.

PR requests were fun, I would reply to vogue, women’s health, Elle, send them garments which I felt would best suit their photo shoot and then I would have the final say before they went to press. I also hand picked Clean Bandits outfit for their Glastonbury performance. This was fun and she loved her outfit (much to my relief)!

What was the best part of your internship?

I assisted on the website and look book photo shoot for aw/winter 2015. The day started super early, and I had to bag all the garments and have them in photo shoot order which was very stressful. I then dressed and helped to direct the model in the photo shoot. I had to make sure the garments were all shot for their purpose and to do this we had props, water bottles, gloves, yoga balls, bikes and even fake sweat. Everyone on the team was so lovely including the make up artist, model and photographer. It really was a team effort–we shot over 40 looks that day! To top it all off, we were opposite a Jimmy Choo shoot, being surrounded by over 30 pairs of shoes!  *insert heart eye emoji*

Did you get to see any of the Hunger Games costume?

Only the prototypes and samples – but it was amazing to see some of the potential ideas and developments towards the icon garments!

Did you manage to blag yourself any freebies?

I was kindly given an outfit from the brands new technical knit range, designed for yoga! Leggings and a vest top, I felt very privileged as otherwise this is not something I would have been able to get my hands on!

PSD is obviously something your passionate about, what do you like/find so interesting about it?

I love the idea of designing for a purpose, not just because I find it aesthetically pleasing, but the functionality also interests me. As I am a sporty person myself I enjoy designing garments – I personally don’t mind being seen in my gym clothes, even if I’m going out with the girls as it means I then have the freedom to go for a run on the beach straight after. It gives me a sense of freedom – not being restrained by my clothing.

Do you wish to one day be the founder of your own brand such as Lucas Hugh?

Yes, I have now witnessed first hand the rewarding feeling a founder has when someone complements his or her own design/brand. I aspire, to one day to walk down the street and see someone wearing my garments, looking confident, strong and proud.

What do you do in your spare time?

You will find me running on the beach, swimming, paddle boarding (when its warm!) Or even pretending to surf… I’m still learning but I love being out in the water. After working hard on my designs, I like nothing more than to be in the fresh air enjoying everything Falmouth has to offer. 

If you want to see/hear more of Isobel’s work visit her website, http://isobelmrimmer.wix.com/sportsweardesigner. 

Also be sure to tweet us about your trips the new Hunger Games movie at https://twitter.com/HCFalmouth or @HCFalmouth!

My name is Paris Anne Richardson and I am attending Falmouth University studying English with Creative Writing. I am an avid reader and subscriber to both Atlas and Vogue. My ideal day is hanging out with my girlfriends shopping and hopping from one coffee shop to another, and I am massive sucker for people watching. Hope you enjoy reading all the posts.