This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

Name: Alexa Webster                        

Position: President of Community and Welfare

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity the one and only Alexa Webster. Having become the new president of community and welfare we thought it would be a great welcome to get to know her. We thought it would be good to sit down with Alexa and get to know how she feels about starting the upcoming academic year as President.

Hello Alexa. What made you want to apply for President of Community and Welfare and also how did you prepare for elections and keep calm?

Preparation involved writing my manifesto, making posters, t-shirts, finding a team, putting together a plan of action – there was a lot more involved than I initially realised! Weirdly enough I found the preparation for the elections more stressful than the actual campaigning itself, and I’m not going to lie; I wasn’t very good at keeping calm! Luckily part of my election campaign was five hundred friendship bracelets I hand made to be handed out as a symbol of unity. I found the methodical work really therapeutic, and it helped to keep me calm during the entire election. My friends might have a different story to tell though.

What attracted you to Falmouth University in the first place?

The feel of the place. Before I even went for my interview I had so many people telling me that Cornwall, and Falmouth in particular, would steal my heart and I’d never want to leave. I laughed it off so many times, but after three years of being here it’s completely true. And the university has been a big part of that. It was the photography studios that sold Falmouth University to me, being from a small college I had never seen anything like them! I’ve never regretted a day here, and I knew it was the right place for me after five minutes of being on campus for my interview!

Whats the thing you are looking forward to the most?

It has to be not only working with the other presidents but with the student body itself. There are some really positive changes that can be made, along with continuing on the incredible legacy of those who have gone before us, and I honestly cannot wait to get stuck in to the role to make things happen! We’re lucky that we have amazing societies and student body that get involved with everything that goes on. I can’t wait to work with everyone. The other big thing I am looking forward to, as mentioned before, is working with the other presidents. We have an amazing team and we’re all likeminded people who simply want to make a difference. Cannot wait to work with everyone.

What do you look to achieve next year?

So, so much. A lot of my manifesto policies were centred on student wellbeing and how to support students, so I have a lot in the works, from advocating sexual health and welfare for all gender and orientations, to stress- busting during major deadlines! I’m also really excited to planning our own LGBTQ+ Pride event and hopefully Black History Month. It’s a lot of work, but I honestly cannot wait to get started. 

Nineteen year old, gossip lover and fashion photographer. Indulged in the Cornish lifestyle yet bred in busy ole bris'ol hoping to travel near far wherever the jobs are.
My name is Laura Sherlock and I am the co-editor for Falmouth's chapter of Hercampus. I am currently in my third year of university studying English.